Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » According to you what is the lowliest job a human being can have/do? Why?

According to you what is the lowliest job a human being can have/do? Why?

Posted - October 26, 2017

Responses

• What kind of job? Round the house or employment?
      October 26, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

What is the most disgusting disturbing deranged devilish devious job can you think of on any level in any time on any plane of existence? Your choice. What job would you least like to have to do ever for any reason or any amount money or status or power? Did I answer your two questions Strange?
      October 26, 2017 5:47 AM MDT

A miner in the worlds deepest mine somewhere in Africa's  Mponeng gold mine Rosie....... You can't get no lower than that.....although I heard the the USA has sunk one for scientific reasons....apparently the heat down at huge depths can get to hot for comfort....
      October 26, 2017 4:48 AM MDT

I wonder how many canaries died going down in coal mines NJ? I would surely have a mental breakdown. I get claustrophobic just thinking about it! Not my cuppa tea. Then  you have lung disease with which to contend. Breathing in all that coal dust isn't good for living things. It's funny I never thought about temperature. I guess as you get closer to earth's core it gets hotter. Yikes!  Oh and of course that's where He** is supposd to be, right? Down down down down down!Thank you for your reply! :)
      October 26, 2017 5:45 AM MDT

• All Hail the Davey lamp!
      October 26, 2017 11:05 AM MDT

Were canaries used as Davy Lamps Strange? I don't see the connection but hopefully you do. When the canary died the miners had to get out of the coal mines ASAP. So is that the worst job you can think of? The one you would least like to have to do? Happy Friday to you! :)
      October 27, 2017 1:28 AM MDT

• Lol the Davy lamp was a welsh invention for miners, canaries were used as you know to indicate methane by dropping dead. The Davy lamp invented 1815 by sir Humphry Davy incorporated an enclosure of metal mesh around the oil lamp flame. When exposed to methane, the flame would change colour and would not ignite the gas and the miners could escape quick so there ended the use of the canary
      October 27, 2017 2:03 AM MDT

Thanks for the backstory m'dear. I had to look up Davy Lamp in the dictionary. I had never heard of it before. I appreciate the additional info! :) I wonder how many canaries had to die before the Davy Lamp was invented? :(
      October 27, 2017 2:06 AM MDT

• Got to be in the millions? I have a Davy lamp they're very robust
      October 27, 2017 2:12 AM MDT

Yea.

Someone should erect a memorial to all those departed birds that gave their lives in the interest of millet, I mean mine safety.
      October 27, 2017 2:39 AM MDT

Armpit Sniffer. Why?  Because it stinks!
      October 26, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

Cleaning hospital bedpans.
      October 26, 2017 7:17 AM MDT

That's right up there (or down) with the worst for sure. Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Friday! :)
      October 27, 2017 1:29 AM MDT

There are no (legal) lowly jobs, only lowly people.
      October 26, 2017 7:37 AM MDT

I think an actor or actress because they have to play being people they're not. 
      October 26, 2017 7:39 AM MDT

You don't enjoy watching performances by actors? Are there none that have played memorable roles that took you to another world?  Did you see To Kill a Mockingbird or Singing in the Rain or  Charlie and the Chocolate factory (the one with Gene Wilder as the candyman?) You have no favorite actor? Mine is Humphrey Bogart. You enjoyed no muscials with Gene Kelly or Fred Astaire or Ginger Rogers or Cyd Charisse? Did you see An American In Paris with Gene Kelly and Leslie Caron? Among the most beautiful films I've ever seen. Or Wizard of Oz? I think bringing joy to people's lives is a great gift. Whether you are an actor or a musician or a singer or an author or a fine painter (not of houses but of landscapes or portraits or seascapes). So I guess we disagree heartily officegirl. I would say being a mortician or graveyard digger or being a policeman and having to look at folks who were tortured and murdered would be far worse. Thank you for your reply. It was very unexpected. Happy Friday. 
      October 27, 2017 1:35 AM MDT

You misunderstand completely. I did not say I don't enjoy watching actors or that they don't bring some joy to people or create beauty.  I classify what they do as a lowly job because they cannot be themselves but are expected to pretend they are other people than themselves.  This is expected of them and what a toll it must take on their self-esteem.  Morticians and gravediggers and policemen, and musicians and painters, can be themselves, and they are capable of bring just as much joy to people which is more genuine because they are being themselves and not pretending to be someone else. 
      October 27, 2017 6:14 AM MDT

• Being an untouchable caste in India
      October 26, 2017 11:02 AM MDT

Could that be any worse than being a person of color and ignored during calamities like Katrina and Maria in the United States? The difference in response between Texas/Florida/Las Vegas and Puerto Rico is unconscionable. Thank you for your reply Strange and Happy Friday. In America the wealthy are the highborn elite. The poor are the lowest caste there is. So India doesn't have a lock on treating some people in subhuman inhumane ways. Theirs is just more regulated and acknowleged. In my opinion.  :(
      October 27, 2017 1:39 AM MDT

• I can only go by jobs I've actually had.

I was a guard at a jail (Drunk tank) for a while years ago.
    I had to stay up all night and check on the prisoners.
    The ones that were on drugs or whatever would bang their heads on the cell door all night and urinate etc. on the floor.
    I was so tired and listening to them yell obscenities at me all night long wasn't fun.
    I probably wouldn't do that job again.

Another hard job I had was on a honeybee farm.
    I used to get stung many times everyday.
    They would sting me right through my coveralls, anywhere that it was tight.
    Knees, elbows constantly getting stung.
    It doesn't even affect you after a while.
    I became immune to it, no swelling or anything.
    I wouldn't do that job again though.

Working in the oilfield in Canada is hard too.
    Very cold, dangerous work at least back when I did it.
    I hope to not get back into that if I have a choice also.

These are just some of the ones I didn't like much, thanks.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at October 27, 2017 1:40 AM MDT
      October 26, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

They do not sound like fun at all Truthseeker. I'm glad you are no longer doing any of them and that you SURVIVED doing them. Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Friday! :)
      October 27, 2017 1:41 AM MDT

That's odd with the honeybees. They're usually pretty docile, especially after they've been "smoked". Had a small apiary with my grandfather for a number of years a good while back. I think I was stung a total of 6-times, every time my fault. Loved to work with them, very fascinating to watch, and a very strange feeling to stick your hand into a swarm that had massed on a tree limb just prior to "hiving". I miss those days.  
      October 27, 2017 2:33 AM MDT

• Yeah, I did that job when I was 16, it was my first real job.
    I remember being covered from head to toe, coveralls, head and face covered out in the hot sun wearing gloves.
    Sweat running down my face and always being sticky from the honey.
    I would eat my lunch in my car and my car was sticky and smelled like the factory where the honey was separated.
    I do remember my boss didn't even wear coveralls because the bee stings either didn't affect him or the bees didn't sting him anymore for some reason.
    He had a covering for his face, but a bee got under it and stung his lip I think.

They did use smoke to get the bees off of those boxes out in the field so we could load them on the truck.
    For the first few days I managed to not get stung and my boss was looking forward to me getting stung. LoL!
    I think I got stung a lot in the factory unloading those boxes onto the conveyor.
    It was a neat experience, but not something I would do long-term.
    Sounds like you had a better system to avoid getting stung. : )

October 27, 2017 11:02 AM MDT

Rosie, I know your question asked for human jobs, I just thought this was a funny cartoon:)
    This post was edited by ally at October 27, 2017 1:45 AM MDT
      October 26, 2017 8:32 PM MDT