Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » What's the origin of "potluck"?

What's the origin of "potluck"?

Every so often, somebody invites me to a potluck. Thinking about it, I decided that no one would call themselves lucky after tasting what some folks bring in their pots. Where does this term come from?

Posted - October 26, 2017

Responses

probably so noone has to cook everything
      October 26, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

the word “potluck”  is drawn from the Native American (Chinook) word “potlatch.” There is, at first glance, a spooky similarity between a “potluck” dinner and the “potlatch” of the tribes of the northwestern United States and Canada.
      October 26, 2017 4:14 PM MDT

• Skookum answer
      October 27, 2017 1:49 PM MDT

Middle class people have often attended parties where the expense of food is shared by everybody bringing something. Snooty classes consider that slightly obscene.
      October 26, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

I don't know but just assume that it comes from the fact that drawing from any vessel on the table is going to be luck, either good or bad.   I don't do potlucks; I just can't eat food prepared by people who I don't know and don't know about their kitchen and cleanliness.  Nope. I can't do it.  I can't do bake sales either.  Even as a child I didn't want to eat what came in the baggy.  I didn't care that it was for books for the school or the janitor's birthday gift.  Just no.  But here; you can have my lunch money. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at October 26, 2017 9:57 PM MDT
      October 26, 2017 9:56 PM MDT

• Weather you get it in the spittoon or not?
      October 28, 2017 6:10 AM MDT