Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » How useful are at-home DNA tests?

How useful are at-home DNA tests?

Lots of ads on TV these days for DNA test kits. You send a sample off to the company and they tell you … what? What are they actually telling you? Is this real scientific exploration or just intrusive data mining?

Posted - October 26, 2017

Responses

not sure since ive never tried them
      October 26, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

They are quite useful to the companies that make a fortune from human stupidity.
      October 26, 2017 3:29 PM MDT

They are useful when you want to establish the paternity of a child before talking it to court for child support or custody. In the State of Georgia, the judge wont award child support without a paternity test.
      October 26, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

Those are not home tests.  The home tests tell people their bloodline.....in percentages.  It started with one of those genealogy websites. Court ordered tests are a different monster.
      October 26, 2017 9:29 PM MDT

Yes, they are real tests that tell you your heredity as to ethnicity.  They are only about $75 dollars.  I thought about doing it just for fun.  I hate to be disappointed though.  I'm told I am 3/4 German mixed with a bit of Chocktaw , English, and Scot.  That's easy to remember.  ;)
      October 26, 2017 9:33 PM MDT

I have a written history of my heritage on my mother's side. I would be 50% Easter European, The Ukraine in particular. I know nothing of my father's heritage...He was adopted and he disappeared when I was 6. So I don't care about his side. I have no need for a test.
      October 27, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

• Dexter will do it for free if you point him out a serial killer
      October 28, 2017 6:07 AM MDT