Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » "Please" and "thank you" were the magic words. We respected our elders. When you lied you were punished. Are we better off now? HOW?

"Please" and "thank you" were the magic words. We respected our elders. When you lied you were punished. Are we better off now? HOW?

Posted - November 9, 2017

Responses

Better off??  Heck no!  Rudeness seems to be the norm nowadays.  People have been raised believing everything is owed to them (individually).  Why say thank you for something that you deserve?  Why say please when it's something that should have been done anyway?    [That pizza is 1-minute late, you jerk!"  Gimee, gimee!  ; Mine!  Mine!}.  Social media isn't helping matters much either.  Why be polite when you're anonymous?

When wrongs aren't punished. they're assumed to be accepted as "ok".  Namby pamby parents who refuse to discipline their children or give into their tantrums only create spoiled, rude adults.  Bleeding heart judges who refuse to hand down punishments to criminals only crate more criminals ("if that person can do (whatever) without consequences, then so can I").

"Those who spare the rod of discipline hate their children.  Those who love their children care enough to discipline them."
      November 9, 2017 2:23 PM MST

((hugs)) I couldn't have said it better if I were the most eloquent speaker in the world shuhak. I so agree with thee. Sad hough, ain't it?  Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday m'dear! :)
      November 10, 2017 1:44 AM MST

If I say "President Trump is a good person", I would be accused of lying by some people.
      November 9, 2017 2:24 PM MST

You did not answer the question I asked bh. Why?
      November 10, 2017 1:45 AM MST

I'm better off not dealing with dummies.
      November 9, 2017 2:29 PM MST

I don't understand how your answer is responsive to the question I asked. Thank you for your reply.
      November 10, 2017 1:46 AM MST