Active Now

Slartibartfast
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Stepper has a backache. Here is what I suggest first of all to anyone who can lay on the foor?

Stepper has a backache. Here is what I suggest first of all to anyone who can lay on the foor?

Stepper asked me to PM him with this but I cannot because STEPPER seems to have unfriended me for some reason? STEP???? LOL

If you make yourself do this exercise once in the morning and once before bed?  Maybe 4 or 5 of this pose?  You will get much relief if your back is feeling muscle aches that are unbearable or nerve pain.

You do it slowly.  You do not force anything and you take your time to get to the full posture.

Posted - July 28, 2016

Responses

I haven't tried that, but I think it looks like a good thing to try. I also recommend lying on your back, pulling each leg up separately and one at a time and holding for about 30 seconds. Then stretch each leg across your body and hold.

Keeping your core muscles strong will help prevent lower backaches.

July 29, 2016 3:44 AM MDT

July 29, 2016 7:29 AM MDT

Jane your exercise WORKS great.  I have had to do that one and kind of dismissed it when I was young and foolish thinking exercise cannot prevent such pain.  BUT IT DOES.  I have used that on other people too and it works great.  It provides relief to the back muscles and let muscles which attach and pull the back. 

So right on Jane

July 29, 2016 11:46 AM MDT

I don't either.   I did not take offense, I just wanted you to know why I didn't answer you so I figured this may help other people too.

This was not all I was going to send you.  But this was at least a way to get your attention. 

July 29, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

One side benefit of surfing is that surfers are constantly working their arms and back muscles (to paddle) and their core muscles (to balance and hold position on the board while paddling or waiting for surf).

Of course, this is only helpful if you have a surfboard and a convenient body of water....;-D...

July 29, 2016 12:20 PM MDT

• I concur, altho the bottom one might take a little limbering up for some. I had some back issues and went to p.t. and the top one is something he started me doing 3 times a day (in addition to several others). For me, it wasn't a back issue, but a hip issue, as they had gone out of alignment and my back muscles were trying to compensate. Lot better after a while, but still get the shivers when my back cracks (even though it feels good after).

July 29, 2016 12:36 PM MDT

No it is an awesome exercise.  You just need a table long enough for your body and do it out of water, not as fun though.

Funny you should bring this up because I was just thinking about what you say a lot about the surf.

I wanted to know how many days do you figure are good for surfing in the year on your side of the shoreline?

I know you would know this.  I wanted to know how many times you get to go out there and do your thing as far as the water behavior?

July 29, 2016 12:37 PM MDT

Exactly, Tammy, regarding your comment about the video number 2. That is why I wanted video number one to be tried first.   But both of them can do no good to someone who cannot even do that posture at all.

I am NOT someone who is advising you.  I am just telling you my perspective.  If it were me?  I would not have my back cracked.  That does NOTHING unless you have a pinched nerve, the nerve is pressed by the surrounding bone, like on the spine.  If you move that enough (and it HURTS) by a chiropractic expert, you can free up the nerve a bit.  But I would never do that unless I was at a point that all else failed.

All your problems now are loosening up the right muscles while tightening up the slack ones. 

The lower limbs are attached to the back and the upper limbs as you probably know already.  You seem pretty aware.   So, you need to find the muscles that support the weak ones and get those worked on.  By an expert.  Then you need to lightly work on the looser ones and not compromise the tight ones until the body balances out a bit.

If you have hip pain, I would say you have to firm and tone and massage your quads on the side of the torso.  They hold the lower back in place and appear sideways versus the back muscles that travel up and down the spine. 

So the quads are like hands holding your waist in place (layman's terms) and your latissimus dorsi is on top of that.  So if you pay attention to your lats and quads, you will align your hips at least enough so that the other muscles that are being overworked, will get a break and all will start to relax a bit. 

The butt muscles are KEY.  There are muscles (lots of them) under the gluteus maximus that big butt muscle we all see.   The deeper you go in the musculature, the more effective your relief will be because those little muscles are the culprits.  They are tight.  Hard to reach.  And they press against nerve endings that cause a great deal of pain and numbness. 

Thank you for letting me talk like this.  It helps me in what I am studying.  LOL

July 29, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

I have mild degenerative disk disease. One time, when one of my disks herniated, I went to a chiropractor who performed the procedure described by Jane above.

Indeed, it DOES work.

July 29, 2016 3:46 PM MDT