Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Why am I sleeping so poorly all of a sudden (read details)?

Why am I sleeping so poorly all of a sudden (read details)?

I don't normally have issues with insomnia. A few nights a year, I will sleep particularly badly, but it's an outlier. Sometimes it's due to stress or being too warm at night, and sometimes there's no clear reason.

Unfortunately, in the past couple weeks I'm developing a pattern where I wake up in the middle of the night (between 3-5; I fall asleep around 11:30 or midnight) and am unable to go back to sleep. When I wake up in the middle of the night, I feel wide awake, no yawning or tiredness, as if I'm ready to start the day...except I'm not.

How do you get out of a bad sleep pattern?

Posted - November 13, 2017

Responses

You probably don't drink, so that is out. I have used diphenhydramine (Benadryl) occasionally to stop me from itching at night and it is also a sleep drug. BUT...the key question is WHY are you waking up so early? I'm not a doctor, though. You could Google it.
      November 13, 2017 1:03 PM MST

• Yeah, I have no idea. I always get up in the middle of the night and use the bathroom. I've been doing that since I was 10. But when that happens, I go back to sleep right afterward. Now that isn't happening. I'm not sure what has changed. 
      November 13, 2017 1:40 PM MST

ask your doctor about it
      November 13, 2017 3:00 PM MST

Take warm milk and calcium pills at bed time.

Calcium pills are also the only pain reliever with no side effects (other than strong bones). Like if you have a sore tooth, calcium will lower the sensitivity until you can get to a dentist. 
      November 13, 2017 6:13 PM MST

Your circadian rhythm has synced to a new beat. Could be the result of diet and/or exercise not to mention hormonal changes.
      November 13, 2017 9:08 PM MST

If it started a couple of weeks ago, I suspect it started with the change to Daylight Saving Time and became a pattern. You can do as Element(( suggested and use a sleep aid to change the pattern, but be aware that some of those (like Benadryl) can make you feel sluggish the next day. You also have a pattern of waking during the night and using the rest room. This is likely not necessary, but you have trained yourself to do it. Since not being able to get back to sleep is the issue, then you might want to break this habit and sleep through the night which most healthy people can do. Don't automatically get up if you awaken in the night, see if you can go back to sleep and avoid the stimulus of getting up. If you truly feel there is an urgency, then adjust your fluid intake in the evenings especially for soda, coffee and alcohol. There is lots of information on sleep hygiene that you can read that might help you as well.
      November 14, 2017 3:30 AM MST