Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Did departure from traditional values begin with the Baby Boomer generation who not only did not pass down the work ethic of their

Did departure from traditional values begin with the Baby Boomer generation who not only did not pass down the work ethic of their

parents but also squandered the wealth of previous generations?

Posted - November 14, 2017

Responses

My answer did not post but I will try again.  Unless you come from wealth time was when you had to work for a living. That was "traditional values".  When you started having the government , as part of seeking votes, supporting people completely through welfare then there was less incentive for many to work.  From another point of view many boomers did come from successful homes where they were allowed a much broader margin in life as far as what they chose to do. But others questioned the validity of a life devoted only to working and sleeping so sought more immediate and easier pleasures and pastimes.  Most boomers I know (and I am a middle boomer) immediately or eventually worked and did well for themselves, often increasing family wealth. Certainly my brothers and I all did - and I was a "hippie" for many years and did not take work and society seriously until I was in my 30s. 
      November 14, 2017 7:00 AM MST

• No the coal that was stoked into a giant flame in the 60's started burning 40+ years prior.  You can see the building tide start way back in the teens and twwenties if not sightly before.
    Flappers
    Jazz
    Speakeasy culture
    the big band swing movement
    Jungian psychology
    the maturation of occult obsession into a more holistic and science based environmentalism and conservation
    The works of people like Huxley, and Orwell
    Dadaism
    Surrealism
    The labor movement
    the beatniks

That's just a partial list of the signs that showed what was to come. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 14, 2017 8:00 AM MST
      November 14, 2017 7:36 AM MST

But I would be careful in looking at history.  What is remembered now about various decades is not necessarily what was significant about them at the time. No people I knew who lived through the 1920s ever had anything to say about any of that stuff.  They just were part of a community and worked or were homemakers.  No way they would have known about any of that. Even swing bands - I guess most places had ballrooms and they had bands and dances whether the bands were "swing" or other kinds of bands.  And please understand that a lot of people  would not go to those ballrooms because it was not considered proper to do among their community.  My grandparents were too old for the "swing era" and my parents too young - they went for Sinatra and Dick Haymes and other singers and singing groups rather than swing bands. 
      November 14, 2017 7:55 AM MST

As an example the 1950s - what I see on TV about it are things like rack and roll and conformity and the cold war etc.  I was born  in 1957 but talking to people who lived through it it was more about Frank Sinatra and Nat Cole and people had a great time in peacetime and are nostalgic for such simpler and better times. 
      November 14, 2017 7:59 AM MST

• That's all true but reinforces the fact as opposed to contradicting it.
    Very few of the big and significant changes and vectors of change  are seen for what they are until seen in hindsight. Just as much of the " New big thing" that people think are major additions at the time turn out to amount to nothing.
      November 14, 2017 8:00 AM MST

The answer to your question involves a lot of general information. Please download and read this free ebook. Then we can discuss it.
    https://comingdarkage.blogspot.com/
      November 14, 2017 3:34 PM MST