Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why do voters have to be convinced/sucked up to/courted to get them to vote? It's a PRIVILEGE and a DUTY. What's up with we the people?

Why do voters have to be convinced/sucked up to/courted to get them to vote? It's a PRIVILEGE and a DUTY. What's up with we the people?

Posted - November 18, 2017

Responses

Same bizarr reason some get paid to go to school. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 18, 2017 1:37 PM MST
      November 18, 2017 9:54 AM MST

"Get paid to go to school"? Are you talking about scholarships,  grants, student loans? Do you have any idea how expensive getting a degree  can be?  By that logic you would be against small business loans for startup money to get a business going or loans to farmers who had a bad year and need money to keep them going. Unless I don't have a clue what you mean. What DO you mean? Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday. This post was edited by RosieG at November 19, 2017 2:05 AM MST
      November 19, 2017 2:02 AM MST

One word - Lazyitis .  

Why don't people vote?  Here are a few of the excuses - 

* It's too much of a bother to vote
    * It's too confusing
    * I don't have the time
    * A court's going to strike it (an initiative) down anyway
    * I don't know/like anyone on the ballot
    * My vote doesn't matter

So the government resorts to "bribing" its citizens to vote - just like parents do with a spoiled child who refuses to do anything.  Sadly, even then they still don't vote.  Yet if/when things go bad you can bet that those non-voters will be out there complaining and protesting.  Although complaining and protesting is their right, they might not have had to do that had they voted in the first place.

To those who say - 

* It's too much of a bother to vote
     I say - It's a bother to get up and go to work every day ... but you still do it.
    * It's too confusing
     I say - So are facebook and smartphones - but you manage to figure them out just fine
    * I don't have the time
     I say - You have more time than money!  Employers must give employees time off (with pay) to vote; you can vote by mail; you can even go vote a week ahead of election day (at your convenience)
    * A court's going to strike it (an initiative) down anyway.
      I say - Less than 2% of ballot initiatives end up going to court.  You get worse odds buying that lottery ticket.
    * I don't know/like anyone on the ballot
     I say - You don't have to vote for everyone.  
    * My vote won't matter
      I say - How do you know that your vote won't matter?  

In my voting precinct, anything over a 20% turnout on election day is considered outstanding and over 40% is rare.  That's right, on most elections <20% of registered voters actually vote (this includes absentee voters,  pre-election voters and vote-by-mail voters).  That means those 20% (or less) are okaying or not okaying laws that affect everyone (100%).  They're putting people into power (judges, city officials, school board members and more) whose actions affect everyone.  They're allowing or disallowing more taxes to be collected .. which may result in more/less police officers, more/less firemen or more/less teachers in schools.  

November 18, 2017 10:41 AM MST

Awesome answer! Thoughtful, informative, comprehensive, truthful. Thank you for taking the time to provide such an excellent contribution to this thread shuhak. I appreciate it. Happy Sunday! :)
      November 19, 2017 2:08 AM MST

Most people who don't vote would be uneducated voters anyway. They don't care enough to learn the positions of the candidates, so I would rather they not vote.
      November 18, 2017 11:48 AM MST

• And the politicians know that many don't care enough to learn their position so the voters stumble on into the voting booth with their heads full of misinformation or no information and pull the lever. Oblivious to what's really going on.
      November 18, 2017 10:16 PM MST

I think a lot of voters feel that their vote doesn't really count for anything considering that we have hardly had a decent candidate in a dog's age.
      November 18, 2017 12:43 PM MST

There isn't much that is required/expected of citizens. Pay taxes, don't break any laws,vote. When you go to the market you buy the best of what is "available" don't you Spunky? Everything may not be excellent or top quality or the very best of its kind. You don't come home empty handed.  SIGH. Thank you for your reply a and Happy Sunday! :)                                
      November 19, 2017 2:11 AM MST

Voting is taken for granted in the U.S.

November 19, 2017 6:43 AM MST

Long ago and far away in my youth I used to take it for granted that all citizens voted. That was before voter suppression laws appeared and "dirty tricks" and hostile foreign country intervention and willing collusion with the foreigners by American citizens and hacking of information and fake news and liars and deniers. Now I don't take anything for granted. I am on alert and watching everything all the time. I awaken every day wondering if Doofus Donny has started a nuclear war yet. I bet it's on his bucket list. I'm gonna ask that question. I bet I'm not the only one who thinks that.  Thank you for your reply Spunky.
      November 19, 2017 9:18 AM MST

People are tired of voting for the lesser of two evils.
    More people would vote if there were better choices.
    Look what we got stuck with this time around.
      November 18, 2017 1:40 PM MST

Russia meddled in this election years before Trump ran. They focused on stacking the deck and they did a he** of a good job. So we got the worst possible prez because of all the monkeying around and dirty tricks and lies and collusion.  It was a no-brainer from the beginning only we didn't know it.  There will never be another such calamitous and disgusting outcome. There will never be such a calamitous and disgusting human being. You can't judge anything by this nightmare. It is an anomaly. It will end. We will survive. It will be a black mark on our history and the world will always ridicule us for it (rightly so) and that will never change. But it sure as he** won't happen again. Unless  He** freezes over and cows do jump over the moon.  Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Sunday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at November 19, 2017 9:47 AM MST
      November 19, 2017 2:16 AM MST

I hope you are right about this never happening again, because once was enough.
      November 19, 2017 8:50 AM MST

Stupid happens among voters. But stupid twice in a row? I don't think so. Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom. Time will tell. We shall see! Fingers crossed. We deserve a break after this incredible misery. I think we will get one! :)
      November 19, 2017 9:14 AM MST

not sure why
      November 18, 2017 3:50 PM MST

Perhaps they'd rather not be forced to choose between two idiots.
    I would still vote, but I'd go for a third party candidate if I don't like the main idiots.
      November 18, 2017 6:48 PM MST

Precisely Patch!  Exactamundo! When you go to the grocery store and buy produce you select the best of WHAT IS AVAILABLE. Same thing when you vote. I was thinking of voting for the Green Party Candidate but I thought I'd waste my vote if I did so  I voted for Hillary (not very happily) and my vote was wasted anyway. I didn't know the election was a setup from the get-go. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday!  :)
      November 19, 2017 2:21 AM MST

• In our state, You have 30 days to vote. There are people that will give you a ride to the polls. There is absentee voting by mail. There are people to get you registered. If you can't vote, you never intended to in the first place. With all of those concessions, people still gripe and complain.
      November 18, 2017 8:11 PM MST