Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Per a coupla scientists 2018 may bring much more powerful earthquakes. Or not. Are you more afraid of earthquakes or nuclear war? What for?

Per a coupla scientists 2018 may bring much more powerful earthquakes. Or not. Are you more afraid of earthquakes or nuclear war? What for?

Rebecca Bendick of the University of Montana and Roger Bilham of the University of Colorado say it is due to the infinitesimal changes in the speed of the earth's rotation. Uh-oh, who cares, or fake news bullsh**? I mean when you go for good do you really want it to be because a building crushed you?

Posted - November 21, 2017

Responses

Where I live there are only tremors every few years. I have never felt one here in the midwest. I'll take the quake!
      November 21, 2017 1:02 PM MST

I felt one about 20 years ago and called the UT geology department. They said there was one centered around Mansfield.
      November 21, 2017 1:54 PM MST

I remember this one, I was running in the Gibsonburg, Ohio 10K Fun Run. I never felt a thing. 
      November 24, 2017 6:06 AM MST

I am more afraid of scientists saying may or may not.
      November 21, 2017 1:55 PM MST

You're more afraid of words than actual occurrences? Thank you for your reply Ele and Happy Wednesday. That must be very deep/profound because I don't get it. I'm sure it's my fault not yours.
      November 22, 2017 1:44 AM MST

Something WILL happen that we have no control over. Why be afraid?
      November 22, 2017 8:06 AM MST

So nuclear war started by a dumba** prez  is nothing to fear? Every day I awake wondering if we are  at war yet. I live in California. My son lives in Hawaii. North Korea ALLEGEDLY has an ICBM to which they can affix a  nuclear warhead that will reach either location. I worry about that and I fear it. If you don't  then I applaud you  I'm not being sarcastic Ele. Thank you for your reply and Happy USA Black Friday! :) Also we have been expecting THE BIG ONE for years in California. We've been warned we're overdue to for it. Something in excess of 8 or so on the Richter scale. We haven't had anything significant in years here. Small rumbles. At some point there will be a big "correction" and then..well, San Francisco all over again? Actually having lived most of my life in California I don't think too much about it. You can't negotiate peace with natural occurrences. And you can't change your lifestyle to prevent it or enact laws to mitigate it. So you live with it. But the dicey North Korea leader and the even dicier US prez? That is scary as he**. SIGH. This post was edited by RosieG at November 24, 2017 7:15 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 3:24 AM MST

Other countries also have the nukes too. Pakistan, India, Russia, U.K., Israel, etc. Remember the cold war? I would consider N.K. 'The Chilly War.' Earthquakes? Perhaps your area will break off from the main continent. You could call it 'Rosieopolis'. 
      November 24, 2017 6:19 AM MST

You're too much kiddo! "Rosieopolis"?  Naw. I'm not like Trump. I don't like to see my name all over everything. Maybe "Unicornia"? You know I love unicorns bh. Or perhaps "Rainbowland" or " Sparkleville". I love sparkly glittery shining things. The east coast will be covered with rising water due to melting icebergs. Florida will disappear first. I think Baja California could easily break away but California is a VERY LONG state and I don't know if it would break off in one piece. There was some conversation awhile back about north and south becoming separate states. Thank you for your reply bh. I just thought of a question. I know. Big surprise! :)
      November 25, 2017 2:52 AM MST

Fear is kind of a personal thing. Like fear of dying...It's going to happen. Perhaps I fear suffering...for me and everyone else. I could go on, but I think that says it all. Fear of suffering.
      November 24, 2017 7:19 AM MST

Of course I don't want to suffer either. I' m 80 Ele and most of my life is behind me not ahead of me. I  don't fear dying. I mean what's the point in fearing the inevitable? But HOW I die matters. As I think I told you my dad took a nap and never woke up.  That's my preferred way. But unless we die by our hand  we don't get to choose how we're gonna die. It just happens. So if I have any clout with the universe I have just put it out there. Thank you for your reply! :)
      November 25, 2017 2:56 AM MST

I would love to see a earthquake totally rock NYC. Put people in their place, and wake some up to.
      November 21, 2017 6:06 PM MST

You mean like the one in San Francisco decades ago that leveled the city and caused fires and death? If true I don't know what to say to you so I shall just wish you a Happy Wednesday and leave it at that. This post was edited by RosieG at November 22, 2017 8:06 AM MST
      November 22, 2017 1:45 AM MST

Probably not going to happen.
    https://earthquake.usgs.gov/hazards/qfaults/map/#qfaults
      November 22, 2017 8:13 AM MST