Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » What do you think will actually happen if Net Neutrality is "neutralized"?

What do you think will actually happen if Net Neutrality is "neutralized"?

https://lifehacker.com/what-the-end-of-net-neutrality-means-for-you-1820647171

Posted - November 21, 2017

Responses

Internet providers will throttle Netflix, YouTube, Hulu, etc. unless they're the ones that own those sites. They'll offer their own streaming services at faster rates and/or offer plans that include "high speed streaming" in addition to the fees you already pay. Streaming services will probably merge with internet provider services until their is just one big company owned by the genetically enhanced spawn of Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos.

They could always go back to pay-per-hour plans. Remember those?!?!? HA HA HA. Millennials would be BROKE!!!!!!!!!!!!
      November 21, 2017 3:28 PM MST

Thankfuly the most popular sites (like fx youtube) are owned bu big companies that can and will fight back if that happens. The loosers will be the small privately owned sites, like AM. There is no way they can afford to 'fight back'.
      November 22, 2017 2:46 AM MST

They won't "fight back". They will collude with the ISPs so both can profit from the situation.
      November 22, 2017 6:28 AM MST

• What Bromide said along with other hazards such as website favouritism.

Since Spectrum took over TWC the local internet service sucks and is slow and laggy enough.
      November 21, 2017 3:43 PM MST

I think it will most likely be awful.  It will happen slowly but eventually some people will only be able to afford the lowest level plans which will be low speed with access only to low level sites.  Companies will be able  to gouge customers at ever turn.  Expect throttling, tiers for access to certain sites, and speeds assigned that will make no sense.  It's no surprise that the new FCC chief is a Verizon man. He will have to be reconfirmed so he is going to force this on Americans in December.   I find this infuriating.  I hope you all are making noise in D. C.  The board rooms at Verizon and AT&T are partying right now. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at November 21, 2017 5:07 PM MST
      November 21, 2017 4:48 PM MST

As long as they stick to making their own broadcasts hard to get for people who wont pay for them, then it is fine with me. Alas, by the article they are going further than that.
      November 22, 2017 2:42 AM MST

• Throttling, prioritizing,tiering, or blocking anything is travesty to the net.  It's either complete or pointless.

>sigh< When this passes it is basically a nail in the coffin for the web being a tool for the common person.  We will basically just be using it for work
      November 22, 2017 5:36 AM MST