Active Now

Slartibartfast
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » What gets you into more trouble? If you go with the flow or if you don't? Why?

What gets you into more trouble? If you go with the flow or if you don't? Why?

Posted - November 24, 2017

Responses

It depends on the situation.
      November 24, 2017 8:45 AM MST

Can you give me some examples? "It depends" is not an answer to any question C&D unless it is followed by examples of what depends on what and why? Than you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at November 24, 2017 11:25 AM MST
      November 24, 2017 11:24 AM MST

• I've never really gone with the flow. I've always been independent and politically incorrect. Has it ever gotten me in trouble? Perhaps it has but I'm not going to change who I am because it may have hurt the pride and ego of someone. Obviously one needs to use common sense in some cases like when speaking to someone from a state of rage or anger. It's then best not to say anything and walk away.
      November 24, 2017 10:15 AM MST

Well, what I do does depend on the situation.  I try to realistically appraise what is going on.  If I am opposed to what is happening, I try to evaluate whether there is any hope of gaining anything by "pushing the river" besides simply my death by drowning---by definition, martyrdom is best saved for a special occasion if it is to be used at all.

And of course, real progress is seldom possible when in the presence of a large group of stupid people---which usually are the ones doing the flowing.

And in general, I have found that when defending their errors, most people prefer embarrassing themselves by promulgating their version of logic, rather than changing their minds.

I guess I am, in real life, much like I am on here.  Sometimes I try to point out another way of looking at things; sometimes I agree with what I can agree with; and other times I just skip the question because nothing I say is going to make a difference.
      November 24, 2017 11:56 AM MST

depends on the situation
      November 24, 2017 4:49 PM MST