Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
DannyPetti
Danilo_G
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Holidays » Dec.3rd is the first Advent Sunday. Are you in the Christmas/Holiday spirit ??

Dec.3rd is the first Advent Sunday. Are you in the Christmas/Holiday spirit ??

For me Christmas nowadays is just another holiday. I am not going to church anymore since a long time. Since all relatives live in Europe, no gifts are exchanged because money is very short on our end and the shipping costs are too high. My hubby and I buy only what we need at other times. We put a foot high cute artificial Christmas tree on our little dining table to lift up our memories of happy times when our kids were small. I love and appreciate all friends, I honor all religions and non-religions - you can let loose here, if you feel like it. Do you buy gifts early?

Posted - November 25, 2017

Responses

• I love the Christmas season, though I usually wait until December 1st to get out the decorations. But I'll be looking forward to cutting down a tree with my parents like we do every year :) It's always been a time of year I love. 
      November 25, 2017 12:05 PM MST

• When we still lived in Germany, be bought a fir in a clay pot and after the holidays we planted it outside in our garden. Living in hot Central Florida right now, even the climate hinders any festive spirit from sprouting at all.  Thank you very much for responding, Nevan B.
      November 25, 2017 12:43 PM MST

No dear, I haven't had the holiday spirit in many years.
    I go thru the motion for other people, but I am happy to sit here with my computer a cup of coffee and my TV.
      November 25, 2017 12:12 PM MST

• Thank you, Lulu's Mom. It sounds like we could be twin sisters! ♥ This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 25, 2017 1:16 PM MST
      November 25, 2017 12:37 PM MST

You remind me so much of another member who left by the name of Virginia.
    She too was a lovely lady like you and I miss her very much.
    You are a joy to have here.
      November 25, 2017 1:18 PM MST

• Thank you, Lulu's Mom. I just added you as a friend, hoping you accept.
      November 25, 2017 1:24 PM MST

Yes, I did and it is an honor to be your friend.
      November 25, 2017 1:25 PM MST

• Thank you with a big hug!
      November 25, 2017 1:35 PM MST

I don't know what the first advent Sunday is. We don't celebrate any Holidays or birthdays. I dislike Christmas-time as I despise all of ads and the music in the stores. This post was edited by Element 99 at November 27, 2017 9:33 PM MST
      November 25, 2017 12:20 PM MST

• Advent means coming , rooted from the Latin word advenire - coming, adventus is the noun ( the coming). Meaning Christmas is coming. Your other points you make are very valid, I feel similar. Thanks! This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 25, 2017 2:10 PM MST
      November 25, 2017 12:34 PM MST

Yes, in fact our tree and decorations may go up tonight.
      November 25, 2017 2:08 PM MST

• Have fun !!!!!!!!
      November 25, 2017 2:11 PM MST

• For all who are interested to learn about foreign cultures or Christians habits, or do not know what Advent means, here is an explanation by Wikipedia with images of advent wreaths: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advent

post scriptum:  thought I had posted it a little earlier, but I didn't find it. I must have not pushed the "Post" button. I am telling you, getting old sometimes interferes with feeling still young......
      November 25, 2017 2:22 PM MST

no
      November 26, 2017 4:59 PM MST