Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » How does Obadiah 1:4 "Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down,

How does Obadiah 1:4 "Though thou exalt thyself as the eagle, and though thou set thy nest among the stars, thence will I bring thee down,

saith the LORD." circa 600 BCE, relate to Apollo 11's "The Eagle has landed" 1969 AD? Hmmm

Posted - November 26, 2017

Responses

• It doesn't
      November 26, 2017 6:28 PM MST

Yet it does.
      November 26, 2017 10:28 PM MST

• lol
      November 27, 2017 5:37 AM MST

I think this is making a reference to the Philadelphia Eagles's  winning streak. They are 10 wins and 1 loss. They are setting a nest among the stars for the Super Bowl. Hmmmmm
      November 26, 2017 7:08 PM MST

No, this is talking about Edom an ancient land that once bordered Israel.
      November 26, 2017 8:37 PM MST

I disagree. It has implications in the present akin to prophesy. This post was edited by O-uknow at November 26, 2017 10:29 PM MST
      November 26, 2017 10:27 PM MST

It appears to me that my2cents is correct.

(Obadiah 1-4) The vision of O·ba·diʹah: This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah says regarding Eʹdom: “We have heard a report from Jehovah, An envoy has been sent among the nations: ‘Rise up, let us prepare for battle against her.’”  2 “Look! I have made you insignificant among the nations; You are utterly despised.  3 The presumptuousness of your heart has deceived you, You who reside in the retreats of the crag, Dwelling in the height, saying in your heart, ‘Who will bring me down to the earth?’  4 Even if you make your dwelling high like the eagle, Or if you place your nest among the stars, I would bring you down from there,” declares Jehovah.
      November 27, 2017 7:04 AM MST

o-u-dont-know,
    texas-rite
      November 27, 2017 7:37 PM MST

O-yes-I-do-know. Just trying to be on the polite side.

I knowed ya dun like it so ...
    never mind This post was edited by texasescimo at November 28, 2017 6:44 AM MST
      November 28, 2017 6:38 AM MST

Yeah, I've seen your polite side. I've also seen your not so polite side. 
    never mind
      November 29, 2017 4:38 AM MST

It's just that you bring out the best in people.
      November 29, 2017 6:34 AM MST

Thank you.
      November 29, 2017 4:28 PM MST

You're welcome!
      November 29, 2017 4:49 PM MST

Here's part of an article from 1975 that may or may not be appreciated:
    [...32 The territory of the Edomites, which straddled the Arabah between the Dead Sea and the Gulf of ‘Aqaba, was called “the mountainous region of Esau.” (Obadiah 8, 9, 19, 21) Esau was the original name of the man called Edom. The nickname Edom, meaning “Red,” was given to Esau because he sold his Abrahamic birthright to his younger twin-brother Jacob (Israel) for a meal of reddish stew. (Genesis 25:29-34; Hebrews 12:16, 17) Because Jacob supplanted him in the precious birthright, Esau (or Edom) became filled with murderous hate toward his spiritually minded twin-brother. (Genesis 27:30-45) Because of Esau’s taking up residence in the mountainous region, he dwelt high up, as in heaven. Jehovah spoke of matters from that standpoint when, by the mouth of his prophet Obadiah, he said to the Esauites (Edomites):
    “‘The presumptuousness of your heart is what has deceived you, you who are residing in the retreats of the crag, the height where he dwells, saying in his heart, “Who will bring me down to the earth?” If you should make your position high like the eagle, or if among the stars there were a placing of your nest, down from there I would bring you,’ is the utterance of Jehovah.”—Obadiah 3, 4.
    33 Therefore in speaking of his destruction of the nation of Edom by the “sword” of warfare, Jehovah could figuratively say that “in the heavens” his sword would be drenched, filled with blood. He had devoted or vowed the Edomites to destruction in justice, and this destruction would reach to the highest-ranking part of the nation of Edom, as pictured by its capital of Bozrah. The slaughter of this enemy nation Jehovah speaks of as a sacrifice, for it is in execution of his judgment and in vindication of him as the Universal Sovereign. The greater ones and the lesser ones Jehovah speaks of as symbolic “wild bulls” and “young bulls” and as “young rams” and “he-goats.” The land of this murder-minded bloodguilty nation must be drenched with their own blood by means of the slaughtering “sword” of Jehovah.
    34 This drastic treatment of the land of Edom was deserved; otherwise, it would not have been an act of divine justice. “For Jehovah has a day of vengeance, a year of retributions for the legal case over Zion.” (Isaiah 34:8) It was not over so-called “Zionism.” Rather, ancient Zion, where “Jehovah’s throne” had been occupied by the anointed kings of Jehovah’s chosen people, was involved. In the year 607 B.C.E., the armies of Babylon had destroyed the holy city of Jerusalem and overthrown the Kingdom of Judah and deported the surviving Jews to the pagan land of Babylon. On this occasion the attitude of the nation of Edom toward the disciplined people of Jehovah displayed itself unmistakably. How?
    35 Jehovah calls it to their attention by means of his prophet Obadiah, saying:
    “In the day when you stood off on the side, in the day when strangers [Babylonians] took his [Israel’s] military force into captivity and when outright foreigners entered his gate and over Jerusalem they cast lots, you also were like one of them.
    “And you ought not to watch the sight in the day of your brother, in the day of his misfortune; and you ought not to rejoice at the sons of Judah in the day of their perishing; and you ought not to maintain a big mouth in the day of their distress. You ought not to come into the gate of my people in the day of their disaster. You, even you, ought not to peer at his calamity in the day of his disaster; and you ought not to thrust out a hand upon his wealth in the day of his disaster. And you ought not to stand at the parting of the ways, in order to cut off his escapees; and you ought not to hand over his survivors in the day of distress. For the day of Jehovah against all the nations is near. In the way that you have done, it will be done to you. Your sort of treatment will return upon your own head. For in the way that you people have drunk upon my holy mountain, all the nations will keep drinking constantly. And they will certainly drink and gulp down and become as though they had never happened to be.”—Obadiah 11-16.
    36 The inspired psalmist recalled the same malicious conduct on the part of a brother nation, when he prayed to Jehovah and said: “Remember, O Jehovah, regarding the sons of Edom the day of Jerusalem, who were saying: ‘Lay it bare! Lay it bare to the foundation within it!’ O daughter of Babylon, who are to be despoiled, happy will he be that rewards you with your own treatment with which you treated us.”—Psalm 137:7, 8.
    37 What the Edomites did to his chosen people in the day of their disaster in 607 B.C.E., Jehovah counted as being done to him. For this reason he had a “legal case over Zion.” So the year must come when he would mete out “retributions for the legal case over Zion” and express his vengeance upon the offending Edomites. (Isaiah 34:8) Jehovah did begin expressing this righteous vengeance upon the Edomites by means of the king of Babylon, Nebuchadnezzar, not long after the destruction of Jerusalem.—Jeremiah 25:17-21.

ACTS OF THE EDOMITE HERODS...]
      November 27, 2017 7:03 AM MST