Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Folks with Asthma often have a very hard time breathing normally. It's a very scary thing to experience. Ever been there?

Folks with Asthma often have a very hard time breathing normally. It's a very scary thing to experience. Ever been there?

When I was a kid I slipped in the bathtub (that was before there were showers) and hit my side on the edge of the tub. It knocked the breath out of me. I thought I was dying. It was a terrible experience. I don't know how long it lasted. Breathing. Something we take for granted. They have machines to help. Some folks have to carry oxygen tanks with them  24/7 to facilitate the simple act of breathing. Have you ever been unable to breathe? Why?

Posted - November 28, 2017

Responses

I almost drowned once. Caught in a rip after the board leash snapped. 

My daughter is asthmatic. When she has a bad attack I feel helpless - I've had an ambulance take her to hospital more than once, and broke all the speed laws rushing her to a hospital once myself (special circumstances, I couldn't have told the dispatch team where I was).
      November 29, 2017 1:52 AM MST

Wow! Scary for sure. Almost drowning? Oh boy.  :( Also condolences go to you for your daughter and for her. My son was once married to a woman with asthma attacks and more than once he had to drive her in the dead of night to the Emergency Room. She always had inhalers with her but sometimes for whatever reason they didn't work. So many things can trigger attacks. The temperature or stress or something in the air or something you eat. Poor gal. At times it just wore her out. It wasn't 24/7 thankfully. There was an ebb and flow to it.  It's too bad you cannot outgrow it or cure it. Thank you for your reply Sbf. So did someone come to your rescue to save you when your board leash snapped?
      November 29, 2017 6:06 AM MST

Yep. It's why I still only surf at patrolled beaches 
      November 29, 2017 8:00 AM MST

Good. Surfing with a buddy is best though. Do you ? Thank you for your reply Sbf and Happy Thursday! :)
      November 30, 2017 4:23 AM MST