Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Communication » Providing they are civil, polite, never patronizing or condescending I love to engage with folks who can think circles around me. Do you?

Providing they are civil, polite, never patronizing or condescending I love to engage with folks who can think circles around me. Do you?

Isn't that how you learn about what you don't know?  By talking to and listening to those who are more knowledgeable than you, smarter than you and kind enough to share what they know? My favorite encounters are with such folks, of whom there are more than a few on Answermug. At least in my little corner of it where I hang out. So do you like to be the smartest and most knowledgeable one in the room or are you like me and prefer to be educated by and learn from those who know more?

Posted - December 2, 2017

Responses

I don't know anyone who can think circles around me.
      December 2, 2017 8:29 AM MST

You have described my boss.  He is one of the smartest people I know and I always love discussing things with him because of his laid-back manner and desire to teach rather than try to show up anyone who is not as smart.  I learn a lot from him and, over the years, he has been a positive role model of civility, thoughtfulness and causing me not to react angrily before thinking about what I'm going to say.
      December 2, 2017 10:32 AM MST

I had a boss like that. I have always been drawn to intelligence. It sucks me in and keeps me interested.   I'm fortunate that there are some folks here on Answermug and on Answerbag before them who kindly take the time to reply comprehensively, thoughtfully and knowledgeably to some questions. I live for those replies! I have never wanted to be the smartest person in the room and I'm sure I never have been. I have no interest in competing with others to see who is smartest. That is useless and irrelevant to any conversation in which I'm interested.  I love learning. Had I the money I'd have gone to college and university for years. There is nowhere I'd rather be than a college campus...sitting in a class of interested/interesting people exchanging ideas, views, opinions.  Walking on a college campus is energizing, electric almost. You just feel the difference. Friends said I should have married a college professor. I did something better. I gave birth to one! Thank you for your reply Spunky! :)
      December 3, 2017 5:29 AM MST

I feel much the same as you do about not wanting to be the smartest person in the room and not competing.  The difference is that I never did enjoy being in school.  I love learning about new things, but at my own pace, without having to take tests and learning about what interests me rather than completing a required course for a degree.  So far, I think I've done OK.  Having common sense is not taught in school, but I believe I have that which puts me ahead of a lot of folks in the world. :)  Happy Sunday. :)
      December 3, 2017 10:04 AM MST

You keep on believing that, Rosie. In reality, you call anyone who 'can think circles' around you impolite or uncivil. A person who truly wants to learn from others would put aside her/his petty need to control the discussion and allow others to engage.
      December 2, 2017 3:51 PM MST

I seldom have time to search for such people.
      December 3, 2017 10:59 AM MST

Oh indeed - simply because I can often learn something new, or have something explained, or see something in a totally different light.

It's not difficult for me because my friends and acquaintances include many people far more highly educated than me!
      December 4, 2017 11:54 AM MST