Active Now

Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Variety. Staggering. See below for a coupla examples. How many varieties of homo sapiens are there? 7 billion plus?

Variety. Staggering. See below for a coupla examples. How many varieties of homo sapiens are there? 7 billion plus?

7500 varieties of apples are grown worldwide. 2500 varieties are grown in the United States. 100 varieties are grown commercially in the USA. There are 400 varieties of mangoes and 1000 types of bananas worldwide. Wouldja like to try all of them? How long would it take? How many varieties per day could you manage?

Posted - December 2, 2017

Responses

Each of is unique and all of us are one.

December 2, 2017 9:02 AM MST

I don't want to be ONE with the monster doofus don Sharon or any of his ilk. I refuse.  Or any of the others that suck up to him or are like him or are him. I will not. I shall not. I do not. I 'd rather die first. It would be preferable. Thank you for your reply and the graphic.
      December 3, 2017 2:45 AM MST

Don't forget 20,000 different varieties of tomatoes, my specialty. There are tomatoes that are called 'persimmon' that taste like a persimmon.  'Peach' tomatoes that taste like peaches and have 'fuzz'. I have grown them!  Look, if you want a good tasting tomato, just buy 'em with the word 'beef' in the title.  Beefmaster, Beefsteak, Big Beef, etc.
      December 2, 2017 6:04 PM MST

You are a constant source of surprise/amazement bh. I LOVE homegrown tomatoes. There is nothing like them! The tomatoes in the market...tomatoes on the vine...are so pretty. Taste has been bred out of them for longevity. The trade off sucks. I expect a tomato to be tomatoey not persimmony or peachy though. So you've had really good luck growing them? My sister has too. Me? It just doesn't seem to be in the cards. Jim has a green thumb and even he has trouble with them. Thanks for the handy hint. I haven't seen any in the market with the word "beef" anywhere near them. I shall look to see if they exist where I can access them. Thank you for your reply!  Boy I sure wish we were neighbors. Do you grow them in enough quantity to sell them?
      December 3, 2017 2:50 AM MST

I do not sell them. I usually have about 100 plants. I live in an area that has such good tomato growing soil that H.J.Heinz built a ketchup factory here well over 100 years ago. You could always grow them in large pots using commercial potting soil. Any 'Home Depot" type garden center will have a huge variety of seeds/plants that should include 'beefsteak' variety tomatoes. (you may have to wait for spring)
      December 3, 2017 6:46 AM MST

Lucky you! 100 plants? How many tomatoes do they yield and how do you use them? I have some tomatoes on the vine I bought at the market to make tomato soup. Nothing canned can touch freshly homemade tomato soup. Of course we use them in salads and on sandwiches s well. What's your favorite way to use them bh? Thank you for your reply! :)
      December 3, 2017 6:48 AM MST