Active Now

Spunky
Randy D
ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Why are deserts so hot?

Why are deserts so hot?

Posted - December 3, 2017

Responses

because it is hot.... ive nothing else to say 
      December 3, 2017 10:29 AM MST

• Same reason they are cold at night.
      December 3, 2017 10:31 AM MST

Which is?...
      December 3, 2017 10:33 AM MST

• Low thermal mass to absorb heat fro the air,   low moisture, and clear skies with no shade that are efficient at radiating thermal energy to and from.

I'm guessing.
      December 3, 2017 10:46 AM MST

• Also not all deserts are hot, or hot year round.   The High desert out west gets really cold in the winter.   The Gobi does too.
      December 3, 2017 10:49 AM MST

That's the answer I was looking for. Most people don't know that. One in Canada, too.
      December 3, 2017 11:45 AM MST

I know that.  I also know that the ones that are the very hottest have to do with being on the EQUATOR.

December 3, 2017 11:46 AM MST

too long in the Microwave?
      December 3, 2017 10:33 AM MST

Microwave radiation from the sun is miniscule and has almost no effect on the temperature.
      December 3, 2017 11:52 AM MST

I could swear that your Desert
    was Desserts...that's what I was responding to.
    You changed it didn't you? haha This post was edited by Baba at December 3, 2017 8:40 PM MST
      December 3, 2017 8:38 PM MST

In forests there are shade from the trees. In deserts there are very little vegetation to bind water in the topsoil. That makes deserts more vulnerable to sunshine heating. And also to nighttime cooling. Freezing temperatures at night are not uncommon in the Sahara desert and other equatorial deserts.

Then again it dont nessesarily means that all deserts are hot. Antarctica is a very cold desert, both day and night ;-)) This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at December 3, 2017 8:42 PM MST
      December 3, 2017 10:35 AM MST

That is true.  You may get a sunburn, but not from the warmth.
      December 3, 2017 11:47 AM MST

The only thing all deserts have in common is a dry climate.

There are usually two or three variations of a desert climate: a hot desert climate (BWh), a cold desert climate (BWk) and, sometimes, a mild desert climate (BWh/BWn). Furthermore, to delineate "hot desert climates" from "cold desert climates", there are three widely used isotherms: either a mean annual temperature of 18 °C (which is the most accurate and most commonly used), or a mean temperature of 0 °C or −3 °C in the coldest month, so that a location with a "BW" type climate with the appropriate temperature above whichever isotherm is being used is classified as "hot arid" (BWh), and a location with the appropriate temperature below the given isotherm is classified as "cold arid" (BWk).

To determine whether a location has an arid climate, the precipitation threshold is determined. The precipitation threshold (in millimetres) involves first multiplying the average annual temperature in °C by 20, then adding 280 if 70% or more of the total precipitation is in the high-sun half of the year (April through September in the Northern Hemisphere, or October through March in the Southern), or 140 if 30–70% of the total precipitation is received during the applicable period, or 0 if less than 30% of the total precipitation is so received. If the area's annual precipitation is less than half the threshold, it is classified as a BW (desert climate).
      December 3, 2017 1:39 PM MST

Why do geographers and climatologists have to make everything so complex?
      December 4, 2017 6:55 AM MST

They don't. Nature does that for them!
      January 13, 2018 5:43 PM MST

We call a place a desert because it is sparsely populated. It does not have to be dry, or hot, or sandy, or anything else. All it has to be is deserted.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=desert+island
      December 3, 2017 3:35 PM MST

Antarctica is a desert and currently it is not very warm there. I believe that a desert is a place that has little rain and no vegetation, not a hot place. 
      December 3, 2017 6:14 PM MST

This was to Jewels Vern: I pressed the wrong "Reply".

Being "deserted" is not the real definition of a "desert"! :-) It's really a region of very low mean annual precipitation, be that rain or snow, as Tom Jackson explains. This post was edited by Durdle at January 13, 2018 7:04 PM MST
      January 13, 2018 5:45 PM MST

Click the link in my post.
      January 14, 2018 1:37 AM MST

OK! I did. Lots of very pretty pictures of desert-ed islands, but not deserts! Just the opposite - most are richly-vegetated, not the usual characteristic of a true desert.

I do not use the popular-fiction idea which confuses geographical desert with humanly-deserted. If a desert is merely somewhere with very few inhabitants then the more remote areas of the Scottish Highlands would be called a desert.

I use the proper definition that a desert is a region having below a certain level of mean annual precipitation, whether it is tropical like the Gobi or Sahara, more temperate but dry semi-arid areas such in parts of Spain, or frigid like Antarctica. 
      January 14, 2018 11:59 AM MST