Active Now

Element 99
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Family » When you're informed by out-of-towners they plan to visit and when to see if it's OK do you ever ask "how long do you plan to stay?"

When you're informed by out-of-towners they plan to visit and when to see if it's OK do you ever ask "how long do you plan to stay?"

Is it rude to ask when they're already here if you didn't do so when they called?  I'd like to know but I don' want it to seem s if I want them to go. So?

Posted - December 6, 2017

Responses

Just ask, "How long do you get to stay?"
      December 6, 2017 6:07 AM MST

This is the 3rd day they're here m2c. I should have asked when they arrived and I didn't. Now I feel weird about doing so. I blew it and I don't know how to fix it without having it sound like I want to get rid of them. SIGH. Timing is everything. I SHOULD HAVE done it on the phone when they first called to make plans. I didn't. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday. Maybe I'm making too big a deal out of something simple. It wouldn't be the first time I worried about something for nothing. Oops. Gonna ask that question. AARRGGHH! :(
      December 6, 2017 6:14 AM MST

Ask them about work and slip in asking when they have to go back.
    Or talk to them about a dinner menu so you can plan your grocery trip. 
      December 6, 2017 6:36 AM MST

Why can't we just ask how long?  That is not an insult. 
      December 8, 2017 4:32 PM MST

I don't think it is an insult. But Rosie seems to be having a hard time just asking straight out so I was just giving ways to ask with out being straight out.
      December 9, 2017 11:28 AM MST

I got you.  I think I understand where she is coming from, though.  Sometimes the situation is such that anything you hint at could be awkward. 

December 9, 2017 11:59 AM MST

Give me your phone number, Rosie. 

KIDDING.  LOL I'll ask them. 

You were so thrilled the other day when they showed up.  LOL

Ben Franklin said Fish and visitors smell in 3 days.

I think they should have the decency to tell you.   Why do they make you ask???

Do they think you have nothing better to do? 

Some people just have no social skills.  I'm sure they have other good qualities.
      December 8, 2017 4:34 PM MST

How soon are they going?
      December 6, 2017 7:02 AM MST

LOL

When are you LEAVING????
      December 8, 2017 4:32 PM MST

• I usually do.   I like to plan some meals and have some things ready for guests so that's important to know.  It's one of those questions that  depends on what tone you use to ask it on how it comes across.
      December 6, 2017 7:50 AM MST

It's all in the wording, the settings, the mood, and your already established visit.  If you are having a good time, tell them.  
    "We've been having such a great time, it is going to be so sad to see you go.  I've forgotten, when was that again?"

One of the benefits of getting older is you can use it as a crutch!  Now is a good time!  Play on it and say,
    "You know, at my age, I forget things and we've been having such a great time, I've forgotten."

"It's going to be so sad to see you go. So sad, I've actually forgotten."

Try to go with things of this nature.  I don't think it's rude.  It's better to be ready and prepaid.. prepared! Not prepaid; however, now that I think about it, being prepaid would not be such a bad idea either (winks and smiles)  for the good and/or the bad. 

This post was edited by Merlin at December 9, 2017 11:25 AM MST
      December 6, 2017 6:42 PM MST

Ask them if they have other places to visit while they are here and what plans have they made to do so.
      December 8, 2017 4:29 PM MST

This is a great suggestion Lulu's Mom.  :)
      December 9, 2017 9:43 AM MST

Thank you.
      December 9, 2017 10:58 AM MST

FIRST THING I ASK

Of course.  I don't necessarily want to know because I want them gone, but how do you prepare for the event if you don't know that one?   I want to know when and how long. 

December 8, 2017 4:31 PM MST