Active Now

Flint Ironstag
Discussion » Questions » Games » What are the odds of an ordinary chess player taking on a GRAND MASTER and winning? Ever happen?

What are the odds of an ordinary chess player taking on a GRAND MASTER and winning? Ever happen?

Posted - December 9, 2017

Responses

EVER?  Probably. 

anything's possible.  Maybe the Grand Master was off his game that day.  I know of none.  I love chess, Rosie.  I am not that good at it.  But I have beaten better men than me by using strategy.

They think I am unschooled in chess and they get lazy.  Then I show them what I really know.

Checkmate.

But... .that would NEVER work if I played a Grand Master.   It cannot even work with someone whom a Grand Master beats.  I am no chess player at all compared to that level.   I have beaten people who are pretty good on a totally amateur scale, but never anyone who knows how to memorize every possible move once the game is in play?  I don't know how to be and think like a computer like that.

This is a true story.

I went to a chess bar when I was in my 20's, around the block from where I lived on Carmen St. in North Chicago.  I was so tired and I needed to stay awake for a few more hours, so I went for a winter walk to wake  up.  I passed this bar and I was intrigued.

I somehow got the attention of a man who approached me and asked who I was and did I play chess?  He was much older than I was, very distinguished, and I wanted to talk to him to learn a little about who this man could be.  He was a magician.  He offered me a job as an assistant.

I was not interested.  WHY??? WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME???? THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO AWESOME.  But I was a boring secretary back then and that was where my head was at.

Anyway he played a game of chess with me and wiped me out so entirely, I could not even make a move and he was already many, many moves ahead because he was aware and alert and knew anything an amateur would do.   I was toast. 

Now, Rosie, if you are still reading this?  Here is why I am boring you with this harrangue.

I told you I was tired when I went out for a walk.  I had not slept in 48 hours, I think.  I was exhausted.

Well, this magician was a hypnotist.  I had never been hypnotized.  He hypnotized me in one minute.  I did not even know I was under.

It was so fast.  I don't know why it happened, but he said you will awaken and feel like you have slept peacefully for 8 hours. Now WAKE.

I felt totally awake.  Now, this has NEVER happened to me.  When I am overtired, I cannot ever replenish.  I must, MUST sleep.  I cannot function.  So, what happened, blew my mind.

I pass it on to you because if you get some sleep tapes, they manage to convince your subconscious to let go and fall asleep. 

Try it.  You don't even have to DO anything.  Just turn them on and lie there.

I'll get you another site.  My daughter has insomnia and sometimes this is the only thing that works when the pills don't.
    This could be the answer to your prayers.  There is a commercial first, but that is not what I want  you to experience.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 13, 2017 9:11 AM MST
      December 9, 2017 9:54 AM MST

not sure but its probably happened before
      December 9, 2017 4:39 PM MST

If you can see it happening, you can do it

December 13, 2017 9:13 AM MST

How I WISH that were true my friend. I know. "Thinking makes it so". Sounds good but it isn't that easy. You have to have "the right stuff" to begin with or it's a hopeless quest. You also have to have the opportunity and we know there are folks out there whose only goal is life is to eliminate opportunities for others. Which brings up another question I shall ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to you! :) ((hugs))
      December 14, 2017 4:17 AM MST