Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Have you ever stopped wanting to belong to a religion?

Have you ever stopped wanting to belong to a religion?

Posted - December 13, 2017

Responses

I don't belong to a religion I belong to our creator God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.
      December 13, 2017 2:25 PM MST

• Not my religion, that is set in stone, but denominations, yes. I've been in them. I don't belong to any of them.
      December 13, 2017 2:33 PM MST

Yes I have and I did after seeing what it is.
    They all have a common goal that I do not share.
      December 13, 2017 2:51 PM MST

I shed all Theist religions, 30 years ago. Not wanting to belong is an enormous understatement. Religions prey on human weakness. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 13, 2017 3:48 PM MST
      December 13, 2017 2:59 PM MST

Thank you Sunshine, Lady Hermit, Lulu's Mom, and Don Barzini :).  I did word my question kind of funky.  Sorry about that ;)  I wasn't sure how to put it.  Your input answered some of the questions I have. 
    I asked because I wonder about people who were raised by parents who follow one religion and somewhere through their personal travels discovered other ideas might be more appealing.
    I've found it interesting that children who are raised and made to go to church aren't so much anymore.
    Structured religion of any sort seems to be fading away.  I am a very spiritual person and  have found the study of all religions to be interesting and complex. I'm delighted to hear you all have found your way.  Thanks again for answering! Love, Merlin 

This post was edited by Merlin at December 13, 2017 5:13 PM MST
      December 13, 2017 3:33 PM MST

Keep in mind, Merlin, religion has no monopoly on spirituality. Nor should it.  
    Only you can (should) determine what and how you believe. This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 14, 2017 12:17 PM MST
      December 13, 2017 3:50 PM MST

Very true Don. Thank you.  The concept of differentiating between the two took me a little while.  I was raised with going to church and Sunday school.  In the same breath, when our mom thought we were old enough to grasp the whole concept, she did give us a choice.  We stopped going to church but never stopped growing spiritually.  When I go home, I still go to church out of respect to her and her beliefs.  Also to mine, in a sense.  It is wonderful you shared the difference.  
      December 14, 2017 12:27 PM MST

Humans were spiritual both independently and collectively LONG before any of the religions we currently know were born. While the methods and tenets differ, often widely, spirituality in some form has been known to every culture. 

Religions for the most part grew on the commonality of regional traditions, co-opting and absorbing other practices and rituals over time. 
    Spirituality is a source of religion, though faith purveyors would have you think the inverse is true. Religions are codified versions of spirituality. Easy to surmise when we know which came first.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at December 15, 2017 12:43 AM MST
      December 14, 2017 2:55 PM MST

Hi Merlin, I too am very spiritual minded and for me a religion does not have to define my relationship with God.
    And for those who think it does, more power to them.
      December 13, 2017 4:34 PM MST

(())!!! Me too!  Love you always, Love, Merlin
      December 14, 2017 12:13 PM MST

Perhaps I am not the best qualified to answer your question as I have never felt the desire yet alone need to join any religion.
      December 13, 2017 3:43 PM MST

Religions are quite a study.  I'm glad to say I don't belong to one either but I have many, many friends that do choose to be in them.  They are wonderful people and all very diverse.  It is quite interesting this time of year ;) :)  Thanks Charlies Angel for taking a moment and answering! Love, Merlin
      December 13, 2017 3:48 PM MST

It's a matter of personal choice.  Churches are communities of like minded people....people who share similar theology.  There are many reasons to be part of such a community and I was very active for many years in my Church.  I am not now for lots of reasons, none of which are hostile.  My denomination has taken a turn that I cannot take with it.  I'm an inactive member for now.  I hear people in these discussions talking about religion and I have to wonder what kind of organizations they were associated with.  My denomination is mainline Protestant, not evangelical.  I'm waiting and seeing how far things go but in the interim, on those Sundays when I want to attend a formal service I go to one...somewhere.  I'm in a new town, well, three years now, and I often go to Mass or to a Protestant worship service.  It is enriching for me.  That is not the same thing you get from a Church home.    We have to always remember that religion is a man made thing which is not the case for God and the Faith many of us have.  
      December 13, 2017 5:44 PM MST

Q "Have you ever stopped wanting to belong to a religion?"

Man is, inter alia, a spiritual and social animal. Religion allows both to be brought and function together.

There is a wide range to choose from to nourish your spiritual and social sides.

Even within a given religion there are usually many different flavours and levels of rational theology to suit all.

So if you ever stopped wanting to belong to one religion look around and you're bound to find one much better
      December 20, 2017 4:03 PM MST