Discussion » Questions » Diet and Fitness » Do you believe the GMOs they put in our foods are good for us?

Do you believe the GMOs they put in our foods are good for us?

Posted - December 13, 2017

Responses

We don't eat any GM adulterated food stuffs apart from seedless grapes and Navel oranges....

Did you know that it's no longer a legal requirement in America to label food products with GM products 
    The huge GM soya bean corporations got your laws changed so they could increase sales and dupe the American public.....
      December 13, 2017 6:25 PM MST

Thats why we eat nothing but organic food.
      December 13, 2017 7:35 PM MST

America never had a law requiring it.  States have put it on referendums but the big corporations come in with billions of dollars of advertising scaring the shit out of people saying that if labeling is required in that state the food supply will slow down and prices would make food unaffordable. 
      December 13, 2017 8:20 PM MST

• Seedless grapes and navel oranges  aren't GMO.  They are hybrids
      December 13, 2017 10:46 PM MST

They may be GMO as well, Glis. 
      December 14, 2017 12:00 AM MST

• True, but I've seen people make the hybrid mutation and GMO mistake with seedless grapes, russet potatoes, and navel oranges many times.
      December 14, 2017 9:01 AM MST

It's not that they put GMOs in our food, it's that some foodstuff is genetically modified, and thus, for me, not fit for human consumption.  I agree that organic is the best we can do.  Talk to your government about this.  I have written an essay recently and maybe I'll post it here.  It was well received. 

Europe said NO to GMO foods. 

You know McDonalds grows the potatoes they use for their fries.  They grow them here....GMO potatoes....have the pesticides built right into our food.  McDonald's in Europe has to buy organic potatoes for the European market because, well, in this instance, Europe is actually looking out for the people where our government is filled with people getting rich because of their stake in Monsanto...the big bully GMO-AND-CHEMICAL-producing monstrosity.  I feel myself getting angry.  PLEASE watch the documentary called "The Human Experiment."  I watched it on Netflix; it may be still be available there.

https://thehumanexperimentmovie.com/
      December 13, 2017 7:48 PM MST

Thanks Thriftymaid. Ill watch it tonight. ;)
      December 13, 2017 7:56 PM MST

I would like to read your essay. 
      December 14, 2017 12:26 AM MST

I appreciate that.  I haven't decided whether to post it or not.
      December 14, 2017 12:46 AM MST

I wish you would.  It is a very important topic that few understand.  
      December 14, 2017 12:48 AM MST

Please do, I would love to read that. ;)
      December 14, 2017 8:27 PM MST

I watched a film about soya bean production about four years ago on net flicks Thriftymaid....it was about mcdonalds as well.....the mince up hundreds of cows at a time and one cow can contaminate the whole batch....

It said one child died from eating just one burger.....it was all hushed up though..

organic soya bean farmers that live next to huge GM soya farms are not allowed to use there own seeds for replanting as they have been contaminated by the wind pollination blowing across the organic farms...

its just so scary what's happening in America where money is more important than health......

in in years to come we will all regret messing with nature.....Nature took millions of years to work things out and man now thinks it's cleverer that nature.... 
      December 14, 2017 4:35 AM MST

Hear hear!!  I agree!
      December 14, 2017 2:55 PM MST

It is not putting anything in to it. It is selective breeding. They keep using the seeds of the product with the best characteristics.  I don't believe it harms anything. 
      December 13, 2017 7:53 PM MST

I dont think our bodies are designed for designer foods. Nature , to me, is the safest way to go if your not exactly sure what your eating is safe.
      December 13, 2017 7:57 PM MST

Selective breeding is not the same thing as genetic modification.  In GMO DNA is disturbed and foreign DNA is introduced.  GMO food has pesticides and perhaps even bacteria built into it...you eat it.  We won't know for 50 years what it's doing to us. 

https://www.foodrenegade.com/hybrid-seeds-vs-gmos/

Have you noticed that when you buy fresh vegetables they now last six months instead of six days.  I don't eat that crap! This post was edited by Thriftymaid at December 14, 2017 4:52 AM MST
      December 13, 2017 8:13 PM MST

• It's crazy that there are two people who think selective breeding and GM are the same thing.
      December 13, 2017 10:50 PM MST

Monsanto has a shetload of money and has done a pretty good job of keeping the public confused.  Even the meat sold at the supermarkets are GMO.  Have you seen the size of some of the chickens that are being sold?  One half breast will feed three people!  I just don't know three people who want it!
      December 14, 2017 12:05 AM MST

• No it's not.

Selective breeding is completely different.
    GMO have had their DNA altered by labs.   Like adding DNA from different species to a crop.
      December 13, 2017 10:48 PM MST

Thank you. It appears I am wrong on this. 

December 14, 2017 6:15 AM MST

The government nor the Monsantos want you to know the difference....just be quiet and eat that thing that looks like a cabbage but is also pesticide, hormones, and maybe even, as the conspiracy theorist would say, mind-control chemicals.  It's all in there, right where the pure cabbage should be.  AND, they won't even let them tell you, the consumer, what's in it.  Those are trade secrets.  
      December 14, 2017 2:59 PM MST

• It's possible and likely depends on the type of genetic modification.    Personally I don't think it's very likely but that's not my main concern.
    What's even more frightening and more likely scenario is that these new artificial gene types will propagate and spread into the native populations of the foods we eat.  Meaning that someday there will be no tomato or wheat as it naturally occurres and has spent thousands and thousands and thousands of years perfecting itself for it's environment.   That puts our food viability into jeopardy.  I fear what these modifications are going to do to the natural gene types of species that I am what eating it might do.

We even have genetically modified salmon.   What happens when some escape fish farms and they spread their non-salmon DNA to the wild fish?   What effects will that have?  It's a serious issue to concern about.   Some will say that example is bad because they are bred to be infertile, yet that is not a promise all will be and remain to be.   We know that programmed infertility in animals is never 100% .  Same goes for plants.   Even more so since these GMOs are spreading their pollen in the air.
      December 13, 2017 10:57 PM MST

It's all been happening already.  In Washington State the organic farmers brought a suit against Monsanto because Monsanto was planting right up to property lines.  The GMO crops were infiltrating (not the right word but I don't remember because it was about six years ago) the organic farmers' crops.  The court went for Monsanto right down the line.  We have real problems and it has nothing to do with men's passes made 30 years ago at women who only remember them when offered money in their old age.  The government has a great way of keeping the masses occupied with BS matters. 
      December 14, 2017 12:10 AM MST