Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Business » Do you believe that good help is hard to find? Give examples as to why or why not?

Do you believe that good help is hard to find? Give examples as to why or why not?

Posted - December 14, 2017

Responses

yes, sometimes depending on where youre getting your help from
      December 14, 2017 3:26 PM MST

• "Yes"  I go to a Ford car dealership and tell them that I need some work done on my Ford Turbo Coupe.  The mechanic asked me to take him outside, where I had parked my car, and show it to him because he'd never heard of or seen one.

December 14, 2017 3:30 PM MST

ALF, exactly.  Exactly.
      December 14, 2017 6:24 PM MST

I sure do.  When I was a manager, finding employees who would work was next to impossible.  The younger the hire the worse they were (they acted as if they were owed work).  They’d constantly call in “sick”, they wouldn’t show up or they’d simply show up whenever they pleased (what’s a schedule?).  Yet come pay day they’d sure whine about how small their paycheck was (no work, no pay).  Then when/if they did show up, they’d gripe that the work was too hard (you do know it’s called work for a reason), or that they weren’t paid enough (if you pay me more I might work harder).  Heck, I was  the manager and I barely made $18/hr.  And here these people thought they should be getting $20-30/hr. … Seriously??

I’m unemployed now (injury) and looking for a job.  Reliable?  Show up on time?  Never call in sick?  Have a car that runs 24/7? Available to work weekends?  When potential employers hear these things they look at you like you’re from another planet (“call security, we’ve got a whacko here”).  What, are these qualities unheard of anymore?  I was taught, ‘an honest day’s work for an honest day’s pay’.  After all, I asked the company for a job, they didn’t ask me.  Of course everyone wants more money, but if I agreed to work for such-and-such a wage, then that’s what I expect - regardless of whether I think it’s enough money or if I think I’m worth more.  And I always gave 100% effort – no matter what.  I was also taught to “have a sense of urgency”.  That means not walking around as if you’re half-dead or to move so slow that snails pass you.  I’ve been in some places where I swear time had slowed down to a crawl.  The employees were “working” so slow you couldn’t even tell they were moving.  Good help?  Not only is it hard to find, it’s practically not even expected. 

December 14, 2017 3:55 PM MST

I didn't mean to skip this.  I knew it would be good and I am kind of sick right now so I am taking the time to concentrate.  I feel rotten. 

Anyway,  I read it and I HEAR YOU.  I HEARRRRR YOU.    How do these people get hired?  AND ?? WHY???

Thanks for another perfect answer. 
      December 14, 2017 7:11 PM MST

Sometimes it seems like all I encounter are idiots and incompetents.  Then I will be surprised by an extremely positive experience.  

Are you still working at the spa where you weren't sure you were going to like it.  That's been a while ago.  Just wondering if it worked out or not.
      December 14, 2017 3:57 PM MST

Nope.   I cannot work with people who do not have my back and support me.  It all goes downhill.

They were a great company.  I have no complaints.  But unless I know that other people know how good I am?  Unless people don't have their own agenda?  I am out of there.  It is just a matter of time.  I know that.

But I have a job much better suited for me.  I am going to work for PainStop Clinics.  They are very vested in working on pain for would-be customers that need chiropractics and massage.  So this is an excellent opportunity to get my name out there.  I will be working among a lot of chiropractic companies who plan events and have therapists work on would-be clients.  (OK I lied.  I AM going to complain.)

I am very excited.  No one is timing my massage and trying to turn and burn.   I was at the mercy of kids booking me at the desk and I could have as many as 7 massages in a row with no room to get ready for the next one.

That part I could have dealt with if the company understood. But they didn't.  IT was their way of making money and keeping everyone who worked there down, and under their thumbs.  They drew to them exactly what they feared.  Lawsuits and publicity.  I am talking about the sex scandals that were all over the news.  They did not deserve that.  They had 187 complaints over 15 years and there have been thousands of massages performed.  But it didn't come out that way.  So, now they are taking every fart made in the clinic out on the therapists and making the therapists think it is noble to talk about each other to the managers to gain points.  NOT ME.  I don't play that noise.

I knew it was a matter of time before something like this happened.  If that is the way they work, I don't belong there.  I am not perfect, but I am a very serious worker and will do anything to make the client happy and the company. 

This has to be a better move.  Thanks for asking, Thrift. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at December 14, 2017 7:54 PM MST
      December 14, 2017 6:31 PM MST

I hope it proves to be your niche.  Since you went back to school you seemed interested in massage as  therapeutic rather than just luxury feel-good.  You may have hit the perfect place for you.  Very glad to know this.  :)
      December 14, 2017 8:00 PM MST

My wife knows 'guys' who are tradesmen and have saved us thousands of dollars on professional work. She is good for something, after all.
      December 14, 2017 6:38 PM MST

That's not a fair thing to say, Element!
      December 14, 2017 8:02 PM MST

Good help...you mean...assistance in any job...didn't get you, Sharonna! 
      December 14, 2017 8:04 PM MST