Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Is it appropriate for an adult (stranger) to discipline a child if they see behavior that worries them?

Is it appropriate for an adult (stranger) to discipline a child if they see behavior that worries them?

Posted - December 14, 2017

Responses

• I guess so.
    I was waiting to pick up my son from school one day and I saw a kid about 11 years old beating up a smaller boy and as a father all I could think about was what if that was my son getting thrown around and I ran out of my vehicle and yelled at the older boy and told him to leave the other kid alone and get the hell out of here.
    I looked at him like I was going to hit him and he just put his head down and walked away and the other kid got up and left.

I don't think it would have been ok if I did hit him and I'm sure that I would've been charged, but in that moment I wanted to help that little boy so I guess it worked out.
      December 14, 2017 5:20 PM MST

Yes, as long as the adult is not violent and is not abusive verbally. 
      December 14, 2017 8:05 PM MST

Hell no!!  If there is a violent situation, of course, try to stop it.  Otherwise, keep you own house clean.
      December 14, 2017 8:22 PM MST

• Yes.  It takes a villiage to raise a child. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at December 16, 2017 12:16 PM MST
      December 14, 2017 10:28 PM MST

I'd say probably at least 90% of the time that is a big fat, "NO!!"  (And I assume there is no physical contact involved or it goes up to 99.9999%

If a young child is climbing on the bags of flour at the grocery store (real situation), I don't mind telling them to stop doing that.

But my wife and I did go down and meet with the principle of the elementary school when a teacher said a few things to our youngest son that we did not appreciate.  

Our son never had another problem at the school.  (And the teacher wasn't there next year---which may have had nothing to do with us.).

Bottom line is that if you as an adult stranger are going to discipline my child, I am going to hold you responsible for that---so whatever you do had best be something that I agree with.
      December 14, 2017 10:47 PM MST

When I worked at our city's Mission years ago, I would tell children who were not behaving to cool it, IF and when I had already approached their mothers. Some mothers were too busy to notice their 'darling children' were trying to go up the stairs to where the residents of the facility stayed. I did that as a 'case worker" to prevent anything from possibly happening. If the kid/s were too unruly I would tell their mother to come back when she was able to find someone to watch their kids. 

This post was edited by SA (SuperA) at December 16, 2017 11:09 AM MST
      December 15, 2017 7:43 AM MST

I didn't have a problem with someone correcting my son if they were a teacher or a babysitter as long as they didn't put their hands on him.
    I would do the same thing if there was no one else there to do it.
      December 15, 2017 10:55 AM MST

stranger
      December 15, 2017 12:23 PM MST

My friend Glo and I both have kids the same age. The kids wouldn't dare be disrespectful in fromt of my friends. The friends that have been around my kids are like my family. I do admit to smacking one or two of their kids upside the head though! LOL
      December 16, 2017 8:00 PM MST

I wouldn't mess with you if I was a kid LOL.
      December 17, 2017 8:35 AM MST

And their kids are all taller than I am. Lol Im even taller than Glo. Shes only 4'10...lol

December 17, 2017 4:06 PM MST