Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Traditions » Do you ever ask yourself why you participate in some of the dumb traditions?

Do you ever ask yourself why you participate in some of the dumb traditions?

Posted - December 17, 2017

Responses

• "No"  I'm fully aware of my treatment of tradition. I was born in New England - "Land of Tradition" (my opinion) and my outlook on traditions is not a very nice one.  Traditions can be hard to avoid ... family traditions, major holiday traditions, etc. ... but I try.
      December 17, 2017 10:24 PM MST

Nope.  When I participate, I know why.  When I have no personal desire/reason to observe tradition, I opt out.  
      December 17, 2017 10:41 PM MST

• Fancy meeting you here!  :)
      December 17, 2017 10:51 PM MST

How ya doing, bro?! 
      December 17, 2017 11:34 PM MST

• I'm good!  Hope you're well too. :)
      December 18, 2017 12:09 AM MST

I am, thank you.  :) 
      December 18, 2017 5:42 AM MST

• No.  I know why I do.   Having traditions are one of the most important aspects of a society.   They are what binds and unites a people and without them there is no culture.  Without culture there is no community.  Without community there is no responsibility to each other or the group.   There is no society without the culture and traditions.
      December 18, 2017 8:11 AM MST

Very much. Have always been in to examining them and which make sense to me and which I deem harmful and which are necessary to get on with people.  Doing something only because it is "traditional" never made any sense to me.  Have always more or less gone my own way. 
      December 18, 2017 8:16 AM MST

• Sure, and if I decide I'm not actually interested in participating, then I won't, but everything I participate in I'm fully aware of why. 
      December 18, 2017 12:25 PM MST

no, cause i dont participate in them
      December 18, 2017 4:55 PM MST

Yes.

Some of the traditions for families and individuals journeying through the grief process in the loss of a loved one (calling hours, receiving lines, etc.) seem designed, to me, as cruel torture for the family. "Let's put the grievers on display at the zoo" and everyone can come and look at them and talk with them.

However, I do realize it is all designed with love as the intention of all involved --  and that's a good thing. That's why I participate/d.
      January 7, 2018 8:44 PM MST

Most people follow traditions because ever since they can remember it's what was being done. They never bother to question the tradition because everybody else is doing it. This post was edited by Autumnleaves at June 15, 2018 12:31 PM MDT
      June 14, 2018 10:48 PM MDT