Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » do all cold sores burst and turn to open sores

do all cold sores burst and turn to open sores

i woke up with a cold sore on monday and i have been icing it and applying rubbing alcohol two or three times daily (except the 9 hours i am at work i keep it covered with aquaphor) and now it seems to be dried out and a little scabby but it never popped and was open and miserable 

so do all cold sores pop or can you dry them out yourself before they get that bad 

i just worry that he will come back with a vengeance

Posted - December 19, 2017

Responses

I would apply extra-virgin cold-pressed coconut oil to the surface and take lysine so I would not have a cold sore to worry about.
      December 19, 2017 9:04 PM MST

Many burst into the realization of Herpes Simplex :(
      December 19, 2017 10:47 PM MST

You sound like you know that if you keep one from completing its routine visit it will pop out somewhere else.  I use Abreva and it's a lifesaver as far as I'm concerned.  As soon as I feel that tingly feeling a day or two before the bugger shows itself I start applying Abreve.  Nine times out of ten it never materializes, but it might try again in a week or so at another spot.  Anyway, I know it seems expensive for that tiny little tube but only use a pinpoint amount each application.  I've heard a hundred different home remedies that people claim works.  Before Abreva I actually would scrub the top off, apply alcohol, then put peroxide on it.  It hurt like hell and I get much better result with Abreva.  And, even when I can't keep one from surfacing, it's a three or four day event rather than a two-week thing. 
      December 20, 2017 12:17 AM MST

It could be herpes. If so, there's medication you can take to ward off outbreaks. 
      December 20, 2017 6:29 PM MST

Amber, consult a doctor...what can AMeRs suggest, they will only google and respond. I hope you get well soon!
      December 20, 2017 6:35 PM MST

i would hope not, go see a doctor about it
      December 24, 2017 4:39 PM MST