Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How do you feel about bicycle helmets?

How do you feel about bicycle helmets?

Peppa Pig is a popular theme in the UK, and episodes are available at youtube. Viewers complained about riding bicycles without helmets, so the producers redrew the scene. It is rare in the USA to see anybody on a bicycle, but I have noticed that images on the internet tend to include helmets. I see some design blunders, and I am not aware of any basic need for a helmet at all. What do you think?

Posted - December 21, 2017

Responses

Peppa Pig is popular here in the US too. As for helmets, those are a necessity. I don't let my kids ride without a helmet. I personally prefer that their brains remain inside their skulls. There are far too many idiot drivers who don't pay any attention to anything. The kids may wear their helmets thousands of times and not need them, but if they don't wear it the one time they need it, it could be a deadly mistake. 
      December 21, 2017 9:40 AM MST

• I had one bought for me when they were first invented. It made me look like a mushroom. I didn’t used to wear it. I got into downhill mountain biking a few years ago. I came off when I was going really fast and landed on my head. I  might have been seriously injured if I hadn’t wore a helmet. The helmet cracked in half.
      December 21, 2017 10:26 AM MST

So the helmet failed in its intended use.
      December 23, 2017 11:37 PM MST

• No it took the impact. Without it my head would have opened up
      December 24, 2017 3:16 AM MST

•    Long ago, probably while I was in school, I saw a safety film that claimed that the average human skull will break, at 15 mph, in a "head-on" (direct, not glancing) collision with a solid object, like a curb.

Now, I don't ride bicycles and there are times when safety should be an adult's choice, but 15 mph isn't very fast.  Bicycle helmets do look goofy, but they don't weigh hardly anything and wearing one says you care more about safety than you do about pride.  Wear a riding suit, even just sweats, with it and nobody will give you a second look.
      December 21, 2017 1:35 PM MST

I want to name one after my first born. ;+
      December 21, 2017 1:41 PM MST

I wore them when I was a kid, but not anymore.
      December 21, 2017 2:17 PM MST

I find them very uncomfortable when I'm in my car or on the bus or train.
      December 21, 2017 2:51 PM MST

i think its a good idea
      December 22, 2017 4:38 PM MST