Discussion » Questions » Weather » When you hear song" I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" do you see all your uncles doing lines on your kitchen table? Or something else ?

When you hear song" I'm dreaming of a white Christmas" do you see all your uncles doing lines on your kitchen table? Or something else ?

Posted - December 25, 2017

Responses

I see the decades of racial strife and race riots in the US that led up to the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s.  For some people (regardless of skin color), the song had an underlying tone of an all-white America, which could only be accomplished by getting rid of non-whites, sometimes by death. 

:(
      December 25, 2017 10:30 PM MST

• Thank you , Randy. I'm very white, blonde, privileged  and aperently, oblivious. I had never considered this  song had anything to do with race.    
      December 25, 2017 10:39 PM MST

I see Joss Stone.

She is putting a spell on me.
      December 25, 2017 10:50 PM MST

• To me ... "White Christmas" is mostly just a song as it's never snowed where I live.

I did find an interesting story about the song though.  Too long to post here, but if you're interested here's the link ...
      https://kuow.org/post/sad-story-behind-white-christmas-america-s-favorite-christmas-carol
      December 26, 2017 2:48 AM MST

• Thank you :)
      December 27, 2017 5:40 PM MST

I think of getting stuck in the ice, part of the house so cold you can't use it, shoveling snow, falling down on the ice, trying to stay warm, a cold floor. That said, I can remember a couple of times when the first fall of snow in the morning was very pretty.  By mid-morning, the "pretty" became "pretty awful."
      December 26, 2017 3:25 AM MST

• Agree,  the first snowfall looks pretty, then hours later just dirty and blah...unless skiing, then it's always pretty :)
      December 27, 2017 5:42 PM MST

i dont see anything except the snow outside
      December 26, 2017 1:31 PM MST

• Okay :)
      December 27, 2017 5:43 PM MST

I don't get the bit about "uncles doing lines" but there is something I do when I hear that song... try to get away from the syrupy, pseudo-sentimental, anti-sincerity creation!
      February 1, 2018 5:48 PM MST