Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Do you know of any programs to help a homeless cancer patient?

Do you know of any programs to help a homeless cancer patient?

Medical is covered, but even Ronald McDonald house says they cannot give somewhere to stay during treatments because of no home address. 

Posted - December 28, 2017

Responses

If they gave somewhere to stay the person then would have a home address. Problem solved, you're welcome ;) This post was edited by O-uknow at December 28, 2017 8:30 PM MST
      December 28, 2017 8:29 PM MST

Call the American Cancer Society; they might be able to help.  Also, talk to social worker at the hospital where his treatment is happening.  If they have hotel rooms they may give him access.  In my experience if you just keep calling eventually you get some help.  Catholic services may be able to help.  Call the United Way.  Call call call call......
      December 28, 2017 10:46 PM MST

Thank you. I knew the ACS but had not thought about the others.
      December 29, 2017 7:21 AM MST

So... maybe open up a PO box for the cancer patient? Most can be done up to look like street addresses these days. You can also have a virtual mailbox. 

TM has some good ideas. I also wonder if a homeless shelter can help. There are lots of different types, so finding the right one would depend on location. There is also the option of hitting Craig's List. You never know- someone might actually be willing to take the person in. And, there's the option of Go Fund Me. If someone were to raise funds in the person's name, they could use the money to prepay a room or apartment rental. 
      December 29, 2017 2:08 AM MST

Ooh, also check 211.org. It's a directory of services and can be searched by location. 
      December 29, 2017 2:17 AM MST

Thank you, I will pass these along. 
      December 29, 2017 7:24 AM MST

maybe social services or a homeless shelter might help
      December 29, 2017 2:54 PM MST