Active Now

Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Sugar is not good for you. What about sugar substitutes? Are they also not good for you in a different way? Or better?

Sugar is not good for you. What about sugar substitutes? Are they also not good for you in a different way? Or better?

Posted - December 30, 2017

Responses

Not sure I trust Aspartame or Saccharin. The official bodies tend to whitewash them. 
      December 30, 2017 3:11 AM MST

What we switched to about 6 months ago is STEVIA Malizz. Supposedly healthier. Thank you for your reply and Happy Saturday! :)
      December 30, 2017 3:44 AM MST

Stevia, which is simply a plant is the only sugar substitute I really trust. In its unadulterated form, it is 200-300 times sweeter than sugar. What I have seen at grocery stores tends to be cut with other things but it can be ordered without that additional stuff. I like allstarhealth.com, they have real stevia, and it is inexpensive. A tiny container will last a long long time because it takes so little. Here is a link to a 1 oz. bottle and it has 662 servings, only $5.35. https://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-organic_stevia_extract.htm

It has long been known that man-made sugar alternatives are not safe. This doesn't necessarily mean it is going to do some serious harm to everyone who uses it, but I do not understand why not just use something like stevia when we know about it. I have read that Sweet N Low could not get approved during the Carter administration because of the known dangers, of course it was approved during Reagan's term and we have had a few other sugar substitutes since, none of which really taste good, in my opinion.

I do not particularly care for the taste of stevia in many things, such as iced tea but I do like it in hot herbal teas and it is delicious in lemonade. Stevia is still not really well known, like I think it should be. Not only is it probably the best sugar alternative, it is a very good cash crop for growers in South America, and this gives them something legal to grow. Overall Stevia has a number of benefits and is worthy of its own book. I have also read that some virus/bacteria, that normally feed on sugar, will consume the stevia and since stevia has no nutrition, the bacteria dies. It is really an amazing plant and I am happy to know you are using it. Maybe more people will make the switch.
      December 30, 2017 4:52 AM MST

I really hit pay dirt with this question thanks to you Weylon. We use Stevia too but I didn't know all that you know about it so thank you for the buckets of info. I appreciate it! I use it in my coffee every day. I don't bake much but I would use it to replace sugar. Jim drinks his coffee black and I don't really enjoy it that way. I like my coffee with a little 1/2&1/2 and I also put in a splash of dark chocolate almond milk! Yummy!
      December 30, 2017 5:09 AM MST