Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Intelligence is affected by whether a brain is sane/insane. Sane logic or insane illogical brain? Does logic exist in an insane brain? HOW?

Intelligence is affected by whether a brain is sane/insane. Sane logic or insane illogical brain? Does logic exist in an insane brain? HOW?

Posted - December 31, 2017

Responses

But logic does not = sanity.  We can be perfectly logical and still not care about others. 
      December 31, 2017 6:49 AM MST

Caring involves emotion not intellect og. So you are saying that you can be logical and insane at the same time?  Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's  2018 Monday  to you! :)
      January 1, 2018 3:40 AM MST

Thank you. 
      January 2, 2018 8:28 AM MST

You're welcome and Happy Thursday! :)
      January 4, 2018 4:09 AM MST

Why do highly intelligent people tend to be a bit nutty? Or is it that they just seem nutty to the average joe?
      December 31, 2017 7:03 AM MST

Perhaps people putting all their energies and focus on their brains are less well-rounded or well-balanced or socialized. 
      December 31, 2017 7:21 AM MST

I know what you mean Patch. I think it's because  the level of their thinking is so far above the level of  the rest of us it just seems weirdly offbeat at times. That's my guess. I don't KNOW of course. You'd have to be one to KNOW and I'm not! Thank you for your reply and Happy New Year's 2018 Monday! :).
      January 1, 2018 3:42 AM MST

• Logic is only one small part of all the skills that form a part of intelligence.

Peer reviewed neurological studies have proved that the mental functioning of the brain is flexible;
    as long as there is consciousness learning and improvement is always possible.

The term "insane" covers a huge range of conditions affecting the mind. Some are congenital, some arise from emotional trauma, some from drugs, some from the delirium of constipation, hypothermia, dehydration, heat exhaustion or fever, some from brain damage, some from lack of education, and some from negative family and/or environmental conditioning. 

R.D.Laing found that a person in a psychotic state still has a certain kind of "logic" to his/her language and thinking, but it is different to the norm. The skill he was famous for was discovering the individual "logic" in each of his clients and using it for communication and healing.
    I found his method useful when I was in a relationship with a manic-depressive (bi-polar) man about 40 years ago. Laing's advise saved my life on two occasions.

I believe all of us can be better communicators if we pay better attention and learn how to understand the other, rather than expecting them to conform to what we can understand.
      December 31, 2017 5:58 PM MST

Wow! TWO close calls then where knowledge made the difference to your survival!  I've known (not well) a couple of folks in my life whom I suspect are bi-polar. They go off on you at any given time for any reason or no reason at all.  Out of the blue WHAMMO! They can be perfectly "normal", civil, polite and engage in pleasurable conversation and then something happens and they become vitriolic/ugly/mean/cruel. It is a very unpleasant experience that I would not seek out. How long were you in that relationship with the bi-polar guy and what did you get out of it that you valued so much you hung in? They are very scary people. You don't even get a warning. Very scary. Now as for your last paragraph. I do not understand donjohn supporters Hartfire. I see him as pure evil so those who think he is the answer to all good things I cannot fathom. I can only opine/suppose/ponder/guess. They are wired very differently from me and as such there is NO hope from my perspective that I will ever understand/comprehend/"get" them. SIGH. And I'm sure the vice-versa is equally true. Thank you for your thoughtful reply! :)
      January 1, 2018 3:49 AM MST

• I took two and a half years, too long, to leave the relationship because I was young, 18 to 20. At that stage I believed that a relationship was for life - "As you make your bed, so you lie in it." It was my mother who got me out, by arranging to send me overseas to study art.

He was 11 years older than me, a graduate of journalism, history and English from Stanford and Columbia, and a B-grade editor at the Sydney Morning Herald. He knew a great deal more than I did, which I found stimulating. He helped me grow as a person, and he helped trigger the early development of my interests and values. In the six weeks prior to a manic episode, he went through a phase of seeing the world like an artist, with intense clarity, depth of perception, insight and humour, and wrote like Kurt Vonnegut. 

You're correct, Rosie, about how bi-polars seem and are during their normal phases.  But Bi-Polars vary in several traits. The duration of the cycle can be rapid/daily, slow over years, or erratic. The severity can be mild so that it increases creativity and genius; middling so that jobs and relationships can't last; or severe so that there is progressive and serious brain damage. It turned out that Ed had the most severe version. In depression, he was catatonic and could not get out of bed. For that six month phase, I fed, shaved and washed him and he barely spoke. From his normal phase of several months, he would slowly climb towards mania over six weeks, and then psychoses would break open suddenly, with not just and the vitriolic/ugly/mean/cruel aspect but with delusions, alternately believing he was Superman, Christ, the Lamb of God, or God. He would do extraordinary things, like holding up the traffic in peak hour on the Sydney Harbour Bridge, trying to fly through a plate glass window, trying to communicate with a pet ram in a suburban back yard and getting head butted, stealing a E-cup bra from a laundry line and wearing it publicly over his outer clothing. He ended up getting caught by the police when he entered a stranger's house and terrified her. He was sectioned by a judge and sent to the locked ward of a psychiatric hospital. His manic strength was so far above normal that it took five ambulance men to subdue him with drugs and straight jacket - not a pretty sight. It was then that my mother took action to get me away.

Nice to hear from you again, Rosie.
    I hope you are well and happy, and have a wonderful 2018.
    Manna This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2018 4:11 AM MST
      January 1, 2018 8:04 AM MST

Oh my goodness Manna. What a  nightmare you have described. That you survived it is a testament to your strength. I'm surprised that you didn't become a psychiatrist or psychoanalyst or psychologist with that kind of dramatic and traumatic real-life experience. Of course it shaped you in ways you would otherwise not have experienced but how much did it also harm you, frighten you, terrify you?  Anyway you and Ari are good. You're safe and happy. I wonder whom you would have been if there had never been an Ed in your life though? Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply and Happy Thursday! :) ((hugs))
      January 4, 2018 4:14 AM MST

• The more we allow ourselves to be ruled by emotion, the less logical we become. This is why people selling something will play on emotion rather than logic. 

I don’t know what sanity is anymore. someone that is very emotional can be labelled insane, as can someone who lacks any emotion. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 4, 2018 4:15 AM MST
      January 1, 2018 8:15 AM MST

I doubt very much that we have any control over our emotions  BA. They just arise/occur/ bombard/overwhelm us. I mean can you really talk yourself out of feeling love or fear or despair or disgust? It's also difficult to control what you think. You experience things and react. How you react outwardly is controllable of course. You are responsible for your words and deeds. But what you think and how you feel? I think it is automatic. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday!  :)
      January 4, 2018 4:17 AM MST

One of our strongest chess players came out of his confinement in the asylum to play in our club. 

In some cases, I suspected that the university was an asylum for the excessively clever. 
    This post was edited by Malizz at January 4, 2018 5:01 AM MST
      January 4, 2018 5:00 AM MST