Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Have you ever come across a sociopath?

Have you ever come across a sociopath?

?

Posted - August 2, 2016

Responses

Couple I think who would qualify as sociopathic -lived in the same building as me and a few drug addicts whose behavior could seem sociopathic because of their addiction.
      August 2, 2016 7:37 AM MDT

Not that I know of.

August 2, 2016 11:49 AM MDT

• Can't say.  I've certainly met a few people who have exhibited sociopathic tendencies, and a couple that have exhibited psychopathic behaviour.  That doesn't necessarily make them so however, so I can't be definite.

August 2, 2016 12:04 PM MDT

There are more of them than you can count.  OF COURSE.

There are clinical definitions, but this broadly but accurately covers it.

so·ci·o·path

NOUN

1. a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      August 2, 2016 12:09 PM MDT

• The definition you give is accurate, however the attitudes and behaviour are usually not overtly apparent To the contrary, sociopaths are often outwardly charming people who use their charm as a facade to manipulate and deceive others to further their own hidden agenda

A person who outwardly displays extreme anti-social behaviour is more likely to be psychotic than sociopathic

August 3, 2016 1:20 PM MDT

Right.  I said nothing to infer that is not the case.

You are the one who asked if I ever met one.  You did not ask how hard it is to recognize one. 

I agree with you. 

August 3, 2016 1:22 PM MDT

• Sociopaths and psychopaths are pretty much the same as they can control their behaviour unlike psychotics who cannot

August 3, 2016 1:25 PM MDT

• I was not questioning your judgement, merely qualifying the dictionary the dictionary definition :)

August 4, 2016 7:30 AM MDT