Active Now

Danilo_G
DannyPetti
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Environment » Summer in Hemet, California is a challenge to survive...get through So is summer elsewhere. What is the hottest it ever got in your town? When?

Summer in Hemet, California is a challenge to survive...get through So is summer elsewhere. What is the hottest it ever got in your town? When?

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

From 1913 to 2015 the highest temperature recorded was 109 degrees in 1971 and in 1913.

June 26, 2016 1:52 PM MDT

its been 104 here in colorado but the heat dont bother me much, what bothers me is when people throw fireworks when its hot out

June 26, 2016 7:36 PM MDT

I looked up my towns local records and the max temperature recorded was in January it was 45 degrees centigrade.. I do not know what year that was recorded but this year the top was 40 deg Centigrade in January.. 

June 26, 2016 10:46 PM MDT

• It's been 110 here. 110 is so hot you can feel the heat pressing down on you.
      June 27, 2016 12:27 AM MDT
  • D&D

So hot I can fry myself in the sidewalk.

June 27, 2016 12:38 AM MDT

It got up to 112 here yesterday Nevan. A few weeks ago it got up to 115! I don't remember it ever being hotter than that logcally though. I think in Phoenix it got up to 120! There's not much difference in discomfort between 110 and 120. They're both too dam* hot!  Thank you for your answer m'dear and Happy Monday! :)

June 27, 2016 2:33 AM MDT

You didn't walk barefoot on the pavement did you Sf? I did that ONCE and I'll tell ya it isn't something I'll ever do again. I guess that is what walking on hot coals must feel like. I just went outside barefoot without thinking. I do not recommend it! Thank you for your answer and Happy Monday! Yesterday it was 112 here! AARRGGH!

June 27, 2016 2:35 AM MDT

• It sometimes will break 100 deg. F .. but not often.  It's the high humidity that is the killer even more than the temps though where I used to live in IL

June 27, 2016 2:39 AM MDT

That's one good thing we have going for us. Low humidity LC. Yesterday it was 112! I expect it will probably be the same today. I haven't checked the local weather report yet. I have been in places where the humidity was oppressive. You take a shower and 15 minutes later you feel you could use another one.  I guess folks adapt to it. Thank you for your answer and Happy Monday to thee! :)

June 27, 2016 3:09 AM MDT

• For some reason highest temperature information specific to the place I live is really difficult to find Rosie.  I find that odd, but this place holds no weather records of note, so perhaps that's why it's hard to pin down.

The average high in summer from a weather station about 3 miles away comes in at a degree of two below 70 F.  That's the actual air temperature and it will feel warmer depending on place, shelter, etc, sometimes markedly so.  Humidity in summer ranges usually between 50 and 80%.

I know I couldn't deal with the temperatures you have to endure.  :)

June 27, 2016 4:25 AM MDT

Are you sitting down m'dear? Please do if you aren't. Yesterday it got up to 112! I haven't checked the forecast for today but I expect it will be the same today. The irony of this is that Jim and I are both Scorpios..love the ocean. We live inland from it about 70 miles. Why? Too expensive to live at the beach. Much much much cheaper to live inland where it gets hot hot hot. Which is why we play the California Super Lotto  plus regularly. At a very modest but consistent level. When  it hits (notice the use of the word "when", not "if") the first purchase  will be a  condo at the beach. Any California beach will do. He**'s bells, any beach anywhere in the world will do. We fantasize about taking early morning walks along the shore, coffee in hand. And watching the sun set at the end of the day, a glass of wine in hand as we look out at the horizon. Maybe one day. I mean Jim is ONLY 80 and  I'm ONLY 78. Perhaps in our 90's? Thank you for your reply MrWitch!  :) Oh our humidity is quite low which makes the heat less oppressive.

June 27, 2016 4:46 AM MDT

• That's just horrible Rosie and I couldn't survive I'm sure.  :)

This is an old industrial port and has a large number of relatively cheap housing that is near or very near the coast.  They were built about 150 years ago as docker's cottages (for docks that are rarely used now) and are a mix of private homes and homes owned for the rental market.

Current prices for these homes are about £110,000 (+/- 10% or so) and most are pretty basic, small and compact with a few variations on the old '2 up, 2 down' model.  That equates to about $150,000 - $160,000 (and it's cheaper now than last week!) and it's an affordable way to be close to the coast in the UK.  No sea views, but we can get to a choice of 3 beaches by walking for 10-15 minutes.  :)

And a few miles away, there's this, where you can see dinosaur footprints.  :)

June 27, 2016 5:51 AM MDT

You are so kind m'dear. Just LOOKING at this graphic cools me off! That is so beautiful. Are the White Cliffs of Dover anywhere near there? Well there's just Jim and me and of course our beloved cat Tigger so we don't need much room. I can't get over how beautiful this photo is MrWitch. I'd love a huge wall-sized poster mounted on the living room wall. I could just look at it and pretend it's the view from my window! Thank you! :)

June 27, 2016 6:57 AM MDT

• That picture is of a place called 'The Bendricks' Rosie, which is pretty much on my doorstep.  It's a few miles long and lies between the town of Barry (Y Barri in Welsh) where I live and the village of Sully (Sili).  There's a small wiki site for it too.  :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bendricks

The white cliffs of Dover are a long way off - pretty much on the south east edge of the country, while I sit pretty far west.  Today in my travels I've discovered there is a philosopher-in-residence there who is paid to ponder the reasons for the importance of these cliffs to the national psyche.  Well well.  :)

I found a good OS map.  Reduce the magnification and go east from the red dot to London, then south east to Dover and you can see the distance.  :)

http://www.britishbeaches.info/bendricks-beach-vale-of-glamorgan/osmap#.V3Ftk7grKUk

June 27, 2016 12:17 PM MDT

Wow and wow! So you live in Wales then?  I did not know that. I checked out  Sully and there are homes for sale there.  We have a dinosaur site in Los Angeles as well. Perhaps you have heard of it? La Brea Tar Pits. I have visited the site and got goosebumps. I have a very good imagination and I felt the presence of what was there long ago and it gave me goosebumps. I think if I were to see the dinosaur footprints at The  Bendricks it would probably give me goosebumps too. To be able touch a long long long ago past in the present is awesome. Thank you for your further comments and the link you provided. Sully is a charming place to live my friend. I am happy that you have that environment to call "home". Oh.  The US stock market dropped another 260 points  yesterday .  Who knows what today will bring?. Now we are hearing there may not be a break after all. That the vote will be taken again and probably more folks will vote to stay since they saw what leaving would do. I dunno. It's complicated isn't it? Happy Tuesday MrWitch!  :)

June 28, 2016 3:34 AM MDT

Gosh I remember those prickly little devils. Talk about OUCH! When my sis and I were kids during summer we'd live in bathing suits and take turns spraying each other with the hose. Of course the grass got watered at the same time! Then we'd put towels down on the driveway and lay out and pretend we were at the beach. I was 10 and my sis was 3. We did have a good time even thought at those ages 7 years is big. Now at 78 (me) and 71 (my baby sis) we are best friends! Thank you for a trip down memory lane st and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)

June 28, 2016 4:09 AM MDT

• I was a youthful geek where all things prehistoric were concerned Rosie, so I have heard of La Brea Tar Pits..  If memory serves it preserved basically a heap of mammalian, reptilian and avian bones lying on top of each other.  Rather a nasty thought I find, but very interesting nonetheless.

A repeated vote is unlikely, unless we have suddenly developed a rare breed of Kamikaze politicians.  :)  What may happen is that Parliament, which holds a huge majority in favour of staying, may decline to place the results of the referendum into law.  This they have the capacity to do, though whether it would be open to legal challenge or not is one for the lawyers.

.  .  

That would engender some fun and games if it happens, and an unhappy people will become even more unhappy.  There has been a suspicion for a long time here (correct in my opinion) that 'we the people' don't count.  Having that confirmed in reality is likely to put even more people off politics, just when the politicians need support the most.

So any turning aside from the exit vote is highly unlikely in my opinion.  What shape it takes will be decided in the next few years but so far I've been encouraged by the constructive nature of most political comments.  The finger-pointing was over very quickly and all the better for that.  Time for some sober men and women in suits, I think - preferably ones that will work for all their people rather than their party, their ideology or themselves.  That would make a very nice change indeed.  :)

June 29, 2016 9:32 AM MDT

Indeed. Well I hope that things turn out the way you want without undue cataclysm in  the rest of the world. I heard that the UK dropped from #5 to #6 in financial value overnight! I don't know if that makes any difference. I don't know how much it might have dropped in influence either. How much does influence matter anyway? Thank you for your thoughtful reply MrWitch!  :)

July 1, 2016 10:05 AM MDT