Discussion » Questions » Family » If you knew one of your parents was cheating on the other, would you confront the cheater and tell the other parent?

If you knew one of your parents was cheating on the other, would you confront the cheater and tell the other parent?

Posted - January 6, 2018

Responses

NO. Its none of my business. 
      January 6, 2018 2:49 PM MST

Something that can have a negative effect on your family isn't your business?  Doing nothing would be protecting the cheater and betraying the one being treated on, imo. 
      January 7, 2018 7:19 PM MST

My parents would never ever do that.......my mum is tiny like me and my dad is huge....my dad also knows my mum would kill him with the aid of all us kids....lol
      January 6, 2018 2:52 PM MST

I'm betting that many people would say the same thing about THEIR parents. Unfortunately, cheating is done in secret and many people succumb to the temptation. 
      January 7, 2018 7:11 PM MST

Very true.........my parents are very happy though and we all keep an  eye on them to make sure they behave properly and don't upset the Status Quo .........
    There is always a family members at home with my mum and my dad works with my brothers and and other realitives ....... so we've got that all well covered.....lol
      January 7, 2018 7:38 PM MST

One of the considerations in such situations might be is whether you are actually going to do any good to interfere/involve yourself.

...And that is a hard one to predict.
      January 6, 2018 2:56 PM MST

no, i would probably stay out of it since there was nothing i could do about it anyways
      January 6, 2018 3:40 PM MST

I don't know.  It never happened to me.  I might have.   It depends. I would like to think I wouldn't do that, but I was closer to my mother than my dad and I might have  been low enough to rat on him.  But my dad did not cheat on my mom and she didn't cheat on him either as far as I know.

January 6, 2018 4:41 PM MST

My parents haven't been married for decades. However, I'd say I'd be likely to confront the cheating parent. Depending on the situation, I may or may not tell the other. 
      January 7, 2018 2:29 PM MST

According to my brothers my father did have girls when he was selling on the road but I never had any inkling of that at the time it was happening when I was young.  Really though he was so unhappy so much of the time I doubt I would have wanted to interfere with anything that made him feel good.  I suspect my other did not have anyone else though she could have and perhaps should have discreetly for her own sake but she just pinned everything on marriage which came to be  a disappointment for her as far as intimacy was concerned.  They stayed together unhappily for many years and they both are now long gone so I'm just speculating.  No - such matters I think are private so I would not have wanted to interfere even if I thought I was able to.   My generation - my brothers and I -  thank God have happier lives but we all "cheat" though likewise stay married. 
      January 8, 2018 8:42 AM MST

If I was at an age where I knew how to handle the situation properly, and knew what to say, yes. 
      January 24, 2018 10:43 PM MST