Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » We think of disease as a BAD thing. Any disease ever left any GOOD behind in its wake? We were better off for it?

We think of disease as a BAD thing. Any disease ever left any GOOD behind in its wake? We were better off for it?

Posted - January 9, 2018

Responses

A disease can put priorities in proper perspective, can cause weight loss, can cause people to make better food choices or to exercise more.
      January 9, 2018 7:51 AM MST

It isn't the disease that does any of that. It is the reaction of the person. When you get cancer you lose weight. You don't try to and you get no credit for  it. The disease takes away your appetite. Now if you are normal weight losing weight puts you at greater risk. If you were fat then loss of appetite is a concomitant side effect for which you get zero credit . So if the human being weighing less feels better without all that fat then he/she chooses a better diet. But that could have been better effected with the disease or the loss of appetite.  Common sense should have provided the proper impetus. As for exercise some folks  like it and some don't. I like exercise with a purpose not for its own sake. So I like to walk TO someplace and do something and then walk home. Just going to a gym? Not my cuppa tea. Boring to me. Different strokes. Thank you for your reply. It was thoughtfully presented. :)
      January 9, 2018 8:59 AM MST

A little history lesson. Perhaps you’ve heard this.

The Black Death, in Europe in the mid-14th century, killed off some 60% of the continent’s population, entire regions were depopulated. It was as horrible as ever a plague has been. 

In the years after the pestilence had passed, there were precious few artisans, craftsmen and manual workers left, anywhere. More land was available for those left alive, but fields went unworked and essential goods and services were unavailable or in short supply.  
    A new market for services arose as the few existing tradesmen and laborers became able to have a say  —to negotiate—  where, when, and for whom to work, and more importantly, for how much.
    The former peasant class became newly empowered as a seminal form of capitalism emerged in the exchange for work and services. Education, previously held beyond their station, entered their reach, and literacy spread, seeding the Renaissance.
    Thus did the feudal system of Medieval Europe meet it’s end. Absent the losses from the Plague, who knows how many more centuries it might have festered. 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at January 9, 2018 8:57 PM MST
      January 9, 2018 7:51 PM MST