Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » When you talk to folks whom you don't know do you assume they are at least as smart as you are or smarter? Why?

When you talk to folks whom you don't know do you assume they are at least as smart as you are or smarter? Why?

Posted - January 10, 2018

Responses

I assume little online.  But I do admit I will start assuming I am a brighter bulb if they write with a lot of misspells and grammatical errors.  
      January 10, 2018 2:45 PM MST

DUH YEP 
      January 10, 2018 3:02 PM MST

I don't doubt your intelligence Lulu!  You are definitely a pretty sharp knife in the drawer.
      January 10, 2018 4:09 PM MST

Keep in mind of the folks here whose native language is not English.
      January 10, 2018 3:11 PM MST

Don't forget me...:(
      January 10, 2018 3:18 PM MST

You are definately not witless...that makes you smarter than most.
      January 10, 2018 3:21 PM MST

I know........I just needed to hear it again though.....:)D
      January 10, 2018 3:34 PM MST

This could well be true.  Good point.
      January 10, 2018 4:09 PM MST

((hugs))
      January 11, 2018 2:25 AM MST

You do know that the ability to spell correctly does not indicate level of intelligence, right? Here's why I KNOW that. Years ago I worked in a research lab with some genius scientists. Well I worked in the office not in the lab with them . Not one of them could spell his way out of a paper bag. That's what I was there for. I am a good speller. Some very dim bulbs spell words perfectly. Some very bright lights don't. I wouldn't use that as any sort of barometer or measure of intelligence. Now what is a good indicator is the ability to comprehend what others say and articulate your thoughts in a way others will understand. That is why I am disdainful of  those who are always correcting others for such things as spelling. It is what they do to show us they know better but in fact they don't have a clue. Just my opinion based on experience PeaPod. Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)
      January 11, 2018 2:20 AM MST

I grew up with an editor.  My dad did it for a living.  I also used to work in the QA dept. for a company, so I always had a keenness for errors.  If I am going to be completely honest here, I have to admit that I do judge how someone writes on some level.   But I can assure you (and anyone else), I am much tougher on myself than others.   This post was edited by PeaPod is just popping by at January 13, 2018 4:34 AM MST
      January 11, 2018 5:39 PM MST

Funny you should say that m'dear. When I am in the company of someone who is a CORRECTER I always tell them the following. This is an internet social site where English may not be the first language of someone. People visit not to be reprimanded or embarrassed or corrected but to communicate with one another. If you don't understand what someone means, just ask. If you have an obsession about correcting spelling become a proof reader. They get paid to do that. Don't do it here. It is not becoming. It does not advance a conversation. It does not show that you are superior to those whom you correct. It just indicates a desire to put people down. Now that's a lot I know but it is how I feel and what I think. I was an English major. I KNOW how to spell but I often play with words as I know you know. I make them up. I invent them as I please because I think language is not a stuffy dead thing. It is alive and well and meant to be enjoyed. No disrespect intended PeaPod. I like talking to those who are intelligent and articulate. Whether the words they use are spelled correctly or the syntax is appropriate is of no consequence to me. It doesn't matter. That's just packaging that you throw away. It's the content you keep, remember, value. OK sweetie. I just stepped down from my soapbox. We are all gifted at some things, mediocre at some and lousy at some. They're just different things. That's why I never feel superior about anything because in the final analysis we are all just average. In my opinion! :)
      January 13, 2018 4:42 AM MST

I hear you Rosie.  Some are obsessed with correcting others.  It's happened here.  I am not even in a conversation with someone and they come along thinking they should correct me.  I just laugh.  If that is what they need to do to feel superior, they can knock themselves out.

I do know that a lot of people access the Internet with their cell phone and may not have the time or patience to get all the commas and periods where they need be.  

I only get critical if someone is trying to tell me they are so smart and do it with a lot of dumb phrases and words.
      January 13, 2018 11:36 AM MST

I used to take great delight in correcting folks who corrected me. They were not always right you see. Now I don't even bother. One person did have the decency to thank me for explaining why what he thought was right grammatically wasn't. One. Years ago. Not an American! I think if the only thing they have going for them is riding on the coattails of creative folks to see if they can find errors then their lives are pretty empty and vapid and so are they. Thank you for your thoughtful reply sweetie. We're on the same page! Not surprising. Happy Sunday PeaPod! :) This post was edited by RosieG at January 14, 2018 1:40 PM MST
      January 14, 2018 4:51 AM MST

Happy Sunday Rosie!  
      January 14, 2018 1:40 PM MST

Thank you PeaPod and Happy Monday right back atcha m'dear! :)
      January 15, 2018 2:51 AM MST

I tidy up exceptionally well Rosie  and unsurpassable when it comes to wit......I think basically it's all in my jeans... :)
      January 10, 2018 2:59 PM MST

. This post was edited by Nice Jugs at January 10, 2018 3:39 PM MST
      January 10, 2018 3:38 PM MST

Hi there toots! Thank you for your reply NJ and Happy Thursday! You are an exceptional person. Your wit is boundless and your knowledge of many things is surprisingly deep. I say "surprisingly" because of your usual appearance here on Answermug. Light, breezy, fun! Who knew that beneath all of that is a very seriously knowledgeable person with very serious concerns about very serious things? ((hugs)) This post was edited by RosieG at January 11, 2018 7:27 AM MST
      January 11, 2018 2:24 AM MST

Such an accolade from the pond Rosie.........lol.   Toots as well ...That really made me chuckle as well.....it's something my dad often called me when I was in his good book......lol
    One day he might do it again if I can behave long enough....:(D
      January 11, 2018 3:21 AM MST

Well-deserved toots!  My dad used to call me that from time to time and it always tickled me. I was a painfully shy child and it always perked me up. I was a "toots" whatever that meant and it made me feel pretty darn good. My mom never called me toots and he never called her or my younger sister toots. I never thought to ask him why. You know you behave very well.  I have no doubt that you are a very good daughter in all ways and not the mischievous person you appear to be here.  I know. Remember how long we talked about hands? Serious discussions I might add. How fervently you talked about demons other than Hitler? Yes m'dear you may be many things but mischieivous is not one of them. Except here where all is welcome! Thank you for your reply NJ! My dad's name was Arthur. What is your father's name?
      January 11, 2018 3:34 AM MST

• Never assume anything. 
      January 10, 2018 3:25 PM MST

That's very unassuming of you....:)D
      January 10, 2018 3:40 PM MST