Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Politics » WHY ARE WE IGNORING THE FACT THAT THE UK HAS BANNED TRUMP FROM ENTERING? WHAT????!!!!

WHY ARE WE IGNORING THE FACT THAT THE UK HAS BANNED TRUMP FROM ENTERING? WHAT????!!!!

A top-ranking British lawmaker said President Donald Trump is not welcome to speak before Parliament.

On Thursday, Speaker of the House of Commons John Bercow doubled down on his view that Trump should not be allowed to address lawmakers in the historic Westminster Hall during an official visit to the United Kingdom. Trump has still not earned the right and does not deserve the honor, Bercow reportedly said at a Queen Mary University London event.

An invitation to address both Houses of Parliament is not a bauble to be handed out by the prime minister of the day,” said Bercow, per the Press Association news agency. “It is not a government prerogative; that is a matter for the speakers of the two Houses.”

In February, Bercow vowed to block Trump from speaking before Parliament, an honor which was afforded to former President Barack Obama in 2011. An address by a foreign leader to Parliament was “not an automatic right” but “an earned honor,” Bercow said at the time.

“I feel very strongly that our opposition to racism and to sexism and our support for equality before the law and an independent judiciary are hugely important considerations in the House of Commons,” he added.

X

Bercow acknowledged that while the decision to welcome Trump did not ultimately lie with him, he would “not wish to issue” such an invitation.

In the weeks after Trump’s inauguration, Prime Minister Theresa May offered Trump a full state visit. However, the trip was postponed over reported fears of mass protests. Trump is now expected to make a scaled-back visit in 2018.

Do you have information you want to share with HuffPost? Here’s how.

ALSO ON HUFFPOST

Posted - January 15, 2018

Responses

He is banned from here.
      January 15, 2018 10:29 AM MST

I'm watching a lot of news I just did not watch because I was not wanting to see MORE.  It just gets worse and worse, does it not?

I mean how can anyone even discuss anything else? 

Noam Chomsky says that the move away from the France Conference last November is going to cause the world to end.  He says we have disconnected our ability to connect with other nations to stop what is so rapidly causing global warming, excuse me  climate change.  He says the Mountains in the Himalayas are going to melt, the natives and all that grows near the equator will die, and I don't have to tell you the mass effects, as you are a scientist.  

This is not name calling.  The man is NOAM CHOMSKY.  He says we are **** now.

Thank you ANTI CHRIST TRUMP.  And people don't get why I say he is much worse than Hitler.  He is a blind, crazy asshole who thinks climate change is a hoax because it is too inconvenient for his plans for himself to worry about what has not happened yet. This post was edited by my2cents at January 17, 2018 10:17 AM MST
      January 15, 2018 10:34 AM MST

Asker's pick. Pat yourself on the back. (We'll forgive the F word.)
      January 15, 2018 10:39 AM MST

Nonsense. We haven't banned Trump from entry.

The speaker has controversially vetoed Trump addressing parliament. So what? As if the opinion of a leftist **** like Bercow means anything.

Why would Trump want to address parliament anyway? What passes for a conservative here is just pathetic. It's just throwing pearls before swine.

Britain has already fallen to globalism. Our politics is more or less meaningless. We're irrelevant. The fight for the future of western civilisation is being fought in the U.S.. It will decide the fate of Britain.
      January 15, 2018 2:58 PM MST

• I'm not sure that the US is exactly ignoring it. It has been widely reported in the US media, you are responding to it here in capital letters, and I'd wager Rosie's corner is full of outraged questions about it.

But why no greater response than that?
    I think because the UK has long been irrelevant to the US.

Nothing the UK does or says has any significant effect on American interests.

And conversely, if Trump addressed the UK Parliament, his words would have no effect on British legislation,
    although they probably would cause a flurry of outrage in Westminster and the media.
    There would be mass rallies against him, which would worsen his international image.

'Though intelligence would probably prevent it,
    there would be the risk of a terrorist attack on Trump by Wahhabi extremists.

Under Trump, America is withdrawing from engagement with world powers and issues,
    and paying much closer attention to its internal concerns.
    Many in America seem to support this trend.
      January 15, 2018 5:20 PM MST

Howdy, Ms.  HeartFire, I am just responding to a slew of videos from yioutube I am reviewing.  I know some savvy news-followers are way ahead of me, but I really have yet to hear much about this.  I mean this is our chief ally, and they hate Trump.  

So, why oh why is this PIG from Hell still reigning?   I just saw a long video from Noam Chomsky responding to questions thrown at him from an audience asking about what he thinks of  Trump.  He says Trump basically signed a death warrant to the earth when he nixed the Paris Conference and quit relations with the UN.  Wonderful.

That is not worthy of impeachment.  Only getting semen on Monica Lewinsky's dress is of concern in the White House.   Sigh.

NO ONE IN AMERICA EXCEPT IS BASE, WHICH IS SITUATED IN THE RIGHT AREAS OF POWER, BUT NOT EVEN THE MAJORITY,  (the uneducated, the disgusted and disgruntled and the 1 percent)  agrees with any of this.  Everyone is outraged.  This is all I hear anywhere I turn on any live TV program.  But the UK thing I thought would really push the buttons around the globe as if this is our best friend and our best friend hates our guts, what does that say about us?  

(Don't answer)  Anyway, I am shocked at the way the British let him have it in this tape.  It was GLORIOUS.

I'll try and find it.

Not the same one, but the same topic.  I'm sure you have heard it all already.  Thanks for answering.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at January 16, 2018 12:41 PM MST
      January 15, 2018 5:37 PM MST

• It's OK, Sharonna.
    You and I agree about Trump, as do (I believe) the other liberal Muggers.
    Chomsky was right.
    Scientists have only been reporting the most conservative projections on global warming.
    They've been stating the minumum probabilites of consequences in order to hedge their bets,
    so that, if they're wrong, it doesn't come back as political flack and lost research funds.
    The truth is there is almost no time to make the changes necessary
    because the atmosphere is a feedback loop with about 100 years of momentum.
    And the rate of change is not a low, straight line. We are at the low (1%) position on a hyperbolic trajectory. Between 2025 & 50, we can expect massive acceleration of the rate of change to begin, at which point we have no means and no hope of reversing it. And that's not taking into account the methane release from the melting arctic permafrost.
    Businesses, migrants, farmers and people who are aware of this are planning their strategies for survival, or in some cases, an easier death.
    If Trump had done the right things by the environment he would been following the international trends towards change and repair and the world would have had a chance. It's the sheer size of America's population and its access to oil vast reserves in Alaska that makes the difference. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at January 16, 2018 1:00 PM MST
      January 16, 2018 12:50 PM MST

Why are you SHOUTING? And how do you know who, other than you, is ignoring anything?
      January 16, 2018 9:06 AM MST

Why not?  They can ban whomever they choose - that is their right.  Probably would not want me there either.  Even if I wanted to go there?  Can you see me speaking to their parliament?  I don't think so!
      January 17, 2018 9:41 AM MST

He is not banned...just not being invited to speak to Parliment.
      January 17, 2018 10:19 AM MST