Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Did you bond with your mother? I never did.

Did you bond with your mother? I never did.

Posted - January 15, 2018

Responses

Yes. and my father.  NEVER my brother.  

That wouldn't have mattered, but he was a malicious minded drunk.   It really was an obstacle in my life more and more and more.   It is hard to pick up the pieces.  

So, I tell you this because from the bottom of my heart, it is bad enough not to have a connection with someone important like your mom, but to have her as an enemy is worse.  I hope you did not have to experience anything like that.  

January 15, 2018 10:59 AM MST

No...Like me she was a provider as well as she could be.
      January 15, 2018 11:01 AM MST

Bonding was not a problem---the problem was that the apron strings were made of industrial high-strength welded steel chains that were through-hardened.

And unfortunately, although it is the father's job to cut those strings, he was armed only with a scissors.
      January 15, 2018 11:01 AM MST

I had the same mom.  Oh God.  I was very close to her, but I never took it.   I told her exactly why I would never take it and we had an uneasy but very necessary relationship.   Above and beyond that, we loved each other.  She was a very good person, very generous, but very toxic because everyone since she was a kid, listened to her opinion and gave it much weight.  OH GOD.  Why her?

Anyway, my dad, who was a very strong person in his own right, would just acquiesce with a "yes, dear".  Thanks Tom.  I read this and just had to babble.
      January 15, 2018 11:04 AM MST

Yeah, I never really recovered from her until I got into my 50's.

Parents are capable of inflicting great harm on their children.
      January 15, 2018 11:46 AM MST

Yes, and I still do. She turned 86 in December and sees a personal trainer at the gym 3 day a week. After being widowed 17 months ago, she's engaged to my late father's best friend, who's only 84! And she was once one of the first female professionals on Wall Street, where she worked for 58 years. This post was edited by Stu Spelling Bee at January 16, 2018 6:02 AM MST
      January 15, 2018 11:06 AM MST

It's...complicated. 
      January 15, 2018 11:14 AM MST

• not until i was almost 20

i obviously loved my mom as a kid, but from age 13 to 19 we fought constantly because of how controlling and suffocating my mom and stepdad were with me. it was frustrating since i was never a rebellious or difficult child/teen. 

then in 2014 i started dating my s/o and my parents hated him for a bunch of petty reasons (essentially they just didn’t want to like him because i didn’t let them pick who i dated)

that at was the last straw for me and i completely stopped talking to them for about six months 

they eventually realized they couldn’t control me anymore. now my mother and i are pretty close and i call her a few times a week just to talk about life and all that.
      January 15, 2018 11:28 AM MST

not at all
    never knew who she was.
    Both step mothers weren't into a kid
    so only bonding was with step dad.
      January 15, 2018 11:56 AM MST

• Not really.
    She got a terrible shock when I was born.
    She had hoped I would give her life meaning, purpose and a socially acceptable role.
    Instead, she found the lost sleep and relentless chores unbearable.
    SHe caught hepatitis and had to abandon breast-feeding.
    She and Dad moved to Italy for a time, and hired an Italian mama as a nanny. I bonded with that nanny.

After my parents returned to Australia, Mum hired a succession of nannies, but I bonded with none of them.
    By the time I was four, both parents had developed severe problems with alcohol.
    So I was mostly raised by the nannies and housekeepers.
      January 15, 2018 4:04 PM MST

• I did, yes. My mom and I have always been close, ever since I was a kid. Now that I am an adult, she is like a second best friend to me. I feel that I can tell her anything and I am very grateful for that. The fact that she's turning 60 this year terrifies me, to be honest. I have other family members who were already dead by then. I hope she will be around for many years to come. 
      January 15, 2018 11:09 PM MST

You know my mother????
    ~
      January 16, 2018 6:00 AM MST

Yes son.
      January 16, 2018 7:08 AM MST

In my childhood very much so.  But then when I hit adolescence and did not turn out beautiful and graceful (like her) she blamed both me and herself and I think I became the realization of her worst fears. To which I rebelled and got into drugs and other self-destructive behaviors, finally leaving home at 17 in order to build a life for myself. For which she never forgave me and never thereafter had a good word to say to me or about me. 
      January 16, 2018 6:34 AM MST