Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » How long do you stay 'on hold' before hanging up?

How long do you stay 'on hold' before hanging up?

I've been on hold for almost 10 minutes. Should I give up and try later?

Posted - January 18, 2018

Responses

I once stayed on hold well over an hour, possibly over two.  I was reporting a power outage during a blizzard.  ConEn thanked me for my patience...my area had not yet been reported, so had I hung up, we would have been even longer without power.  
      January 18, 2018 10:03 AM MST

I would say it depends on who you're calling.  If you're reporting an emergency situation, stay on the line.  If you're holding for your cable company, 15 minutes is the max I would hold.
      January 18, 2018 10:20 AM MST

I've had to wait something like two hours when I've called the Social Security office. I didn't have much choice in the matter because I knew the hold times would always be bad and I needed to talk to them. With less sensitive/ urgent matters, I max out at about ten minutes. Sometimes five.
      January 18, 2018 11:02 AM MST

•   It depends what I'm on hold for. If it's important I'll hold as long as necessary. If not important, I'll usually give it 15 or so minutes.
      January 18, 2018 1:57 PM MST

Pretty much what everyone else is saying here.  I will hold for a government office because I have no choice.  It can be a long wait.  If it's a doctor's office, I will wait up to 10 minutes and call back. 
      January 18, 2018 2:09 PM MST

I don't wait well.  The answer would depend on how badly I needed to have the anticipated conversation.
      January 18, 2018 2:46 PM MST

Lol, do you see that, folks?  I made her wait at least ten minutes this time. I'll teach her not to file restraining orders against me!

~
      January 18, 2018 6:18 PM MST