Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » Does your local government (town, city, county, etc) do anything that specifically attracts homeless people to its jurisdiction? ~

Does your local government (town, city, county, etc) do anything that specifically attracts homeless people to its jurisdiction? ~

Posted - January 22, 2018

Responses

So, here's the weirdest thing of all time. A friend of mine lives not too far away from the state mental hospital. No joke. When they release people who don't have homes to go to, they don't take them to a homeless shelter. They drop them off at the neighborhood park and leave them there. Seriously. 
      January 23, 2018 12:17 AM MST

Dumping!  Call the media!
    ~
      January 23, 2018 6:12 AM MST

Wow that should be illegal.
      January 23, 2018 6:27 AM MST

Not that I know of.  There are many here but we don't see them too much.  It never gets cold so that's the call for them here in Florida.  They camp on fresh water canals more inland than where I live. They bathe in the canals which is dangerous.  One was attacked by an alligator not long ago.   I live near the library and sometimes a group of them gather in the back corner of the parking lot over there and sleep.  They get up and leave early in the morning.  The only thing that is a nuisance to me is that many of them ride bicycles out on the highway.  They try to get hit in crosswalks because that might put them in the hospital for a day or too....seriously.  They even will try to sue.  It hasn't happened to me but I've had them shoot out right in front of me in a moving car.  Also, they get fed.  There is a place that serves lunch everyday for them.  They have to go to the shelter to get it though.  The county opened up shelters for them when we had a cold spell in the last weeks.
      January 23, 2018 6:40 AM MST

We have five nice bridges for them to camp under.
      January 23, 2018 6:44 AM MST

We have a food program every night from Nov-Mar. No shelters though. This post was edited by my2cents at January 23, 2018 8:17 AM MST
      January 23, 2018 6:48 AM MST

Unfortunately, Washington D.C. has a habit of buying their homeless a one-way bus ticket to my city. I think Nashville might send their bobo's here as well.
      January 23, 2018 4:21 PM MST

No apostrophe. 
      January 23, 2018 10:33 PM MST