Discussion » Questions » Finance » I will never again use TicketMaster for the rest of my life. Are you also soured by their scamming ways? ~

I will never again use TicketMaster for the rest of my life. Are you also soured by their scamming ways? ~

Yeah, yeah, I know it also means that I'll never attend a big sporting event or an entertainment event for the rest of my life, but I'll live. 

Posted - January 22, 2018

Responses

Not really... What happened to you? 

The only thing that recently bothered me about them was that they used some kind of "verified fan" system for the upcoming Taylor Swift concert. I wanted to surprise my daughter with tickets. The system somehow lets people accrue points to prove they're real fans (think social media posts and stuff), and then somehow the points turn into opportunities to buy tickets before they go on sale. Supposedly, that system stops scalpers from buying all the tickets, so regular people have a shot. Well, I didn't know about it until it was over, and I'm sure as heck not going to spend hours posting on social media about my love for Taylor, just so I can buy some dang tickets. Anyway, by the time the tickets actually went on sale, the diehards who were willing to spend hours on end professing their love for Taylor had purchased most of the tickets, and schmucks like me didn't have a shot. I don't think that's much better than the original option.
      January 23, 2018 12:12 AM MST

Green stamps, Frequent flyer miles, and now 'real fan'-points. Where will it end?
      January 23, 2018 2:33 AM MST

I don't really take issue with reward/ loyalty programs. I think, in many cases, they're a good way to thank loyal consumers for being so. The verified fan system is different. It mandates that a buyer take extra steps and invest immense amounts of time in order to make a purchase that a customer's money enough used to be good enough for. Buying tickets to a concert shouldn't require me to spend weeks promoting the concert and performer. I am a "follower" for several musicians and belong to their email lists and such. They often give their fans early access to tickets that way- it cuts down on scalpers too. However, forcing me to be a company spokesperson just to get access to something I should be able to buy... it makes me angry and dislike the brand. It's akin to going to a grocery store and not being able to buy a gallon of milk without professing my love for the store on Twitter. Bah. 
      January 23, 2018 2:25 PM MST

While I'm neither in the demographic for Taylor Swift specifically, nor would I be looking for tickets to her shows for anyone I know, that verified fan hogwash is along the lines of the scams they pull that put me off their rails. 
      I merely wanted tickets to a show, I didn't want to take out a second mortgage or drain all the blood from my body to pay for them. After drowning in 'click-here-hell' for twenty minutes (exaggerated) I got to a point on their website that "offered" me the "opportunity" to subscribe to magazines if I wanted to. I didn't want to.  The website, however, didn't have an option to decline. In order to continue the purchase, I had to select at least three magazines out of about 100 choices, with the lying promise that all I had to do was inform the publishers to stop sending them after receiving the first issues. All of this was supposedly free, too. 
      It's been two years. The magazines won't stop coming, nor will the bills for the magazines. The zap my credit card without me even doing a thing. The publishers have me; "Sir, you ordered our product, so you're liable, you must pay."  I retort, "I was only trying to buy tickets online, TicketMaster assured me I could cancel after the first issue!"  The publishers: "You'll have to take that up with TicketMaster, but in the meantime, your renewal fee is $39.99 for the year."
      So of course I go to TicketMaster. "Sir, we sell tickets, not magazines.  Third-party vendors advertise on our website, so maybe they entered some type of algorithm that you ran across . . . ". I blew my stack, "But it's your website!"  
      I've contacted the credit card company, the credit union, the Better Business Bureau, Bill Nye the Science Guy, a swami atop a mountain in Tildekistan, etc. 
      I've been back and forth. Sometimes the subscriptions stop for weeks or months, then they start up again. Sometimes a strangely-named company charges $2.37 or $11.84 or $4.00 on my credit card, I trace it back to TicketMaster service fees. 

They're dead to me. 
    ~
      January 23, 2018 5:55 AM MST

Cut you credit card into little pieces, and tell the bank that issued it to make you a new one because you think it was stolen, there will be no more 'automatic' withdrawals after that. I ran into that trick of turning a one time payment into a recurring one too some years ago.

For the other things screenshots of the web pages that made lying promises will do wonders if it comes to a court case.
      January 23, 2018 7:14 AM MST

Yep, that works, I have used that myself. 
      January 23, 2018 7:40 AM MST

Woah. That's bad. I've never heard of anything that extreme. I know they're price-gouging, but to have the ongoing battle with random charges is unforgivable. You'd think TicketMaster would care about their reputation and only partner with reputable ad companies, but maybe they don't care because they're an industry giant, and most people have little choice whether to deal with them or not if they want to attend events. 

January 23, 2018 2:15 PM MST

I know, right?  I can't stand it when website administrators whore out their product to the lowest common denominator and the highest bidder just to line their
    pockets with filthy lucre. 

(Hey, wait . . ) 

~
      January 23, 2018 10:38 PM MST

I don't think we do that, if that's what you're suggesting. When people report inappropriate ads, say there are issues with them, or comment on ads that they think aren't befitting of our brand, I ban the advertiser. I've dropped advertising platforms in their entirety when they don't let me control things and they don't do a good job of it on their own. I'm dead serious about that. I spent weeks with our Taboola rep refining the stories that show, and I personally go through Google ads and Project Wonderful to remove content that's not ok. We will always have some kind of revenue generator here to at least subsidize the cost, but I won't use anything that I think harms your experience. If you ever have a genuine issue with something we run, please grab a screenshot and send it to me or get a copy/paste of the link the ad sends you to, so I can follow up on it. I mean that sincerely. 

And, please give me your credit card number too. If the magazine companies can get away with charging you for years, imagine the haul I could get. ;)
      January 23, 2018 11:33 PM MST

No, no, I was just joking around; I don't think any shenanigans are going on here at AM. 
      As for my credit card number, I don't mind giving it to you at all, it's just going to be encoded because anyone and everyone can read this. 

The first four digits when added together equal the year Denise Hopmyer borrowed my science book and never returned it. The next four are the quotient of the first problem on page 361 of the Tax Code Examiner's Quizbook from New Zealand, Edition A5. For the next four, take the boiling point of tree bark used in medicinal cures of the Hopi Indian (in Celsius), divide it by the escape velocity of a Russian satalite communications orbiter if launched from Siberia in February (taking into account the skip zones of sun spots and the added weight of a Trion model propulsion system). Lastly, there's a bottle of shampoo in the downstairs bathroom, count the number of times the letter 'e' appears anywhere on its labeling and add the number of times you stopped reading this and started again. Have yourself a field day with charging things on my card!

January 24, 2018 5:56 AM MST

I rather think you are drawing conclusions beyond the evidence If we must generalize, i Would focus in another 'direction' , on the strong and well known tendency if Websites to hide themselves behind a wall of automated bits that make the policy makers (and complaints department) utterly inaccessible to the customers. It is strong but not universal, jiust look at JA.

Anyway the name "Ticketmaster" really say it all, they are the masters, and you must obey. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at January 24, 2018 12:44 AM MST
      January 24, 2018 12:32 AM MST

I use Stubhub.
      January 24, 2018 1:25 AM MST

I worked for TicketMaster back in the late 1990s and rather enjoyed it...but I did think it rather outrageous the 'service charges' they charged!!!

the hardest thing to do was when Prince decided that whoever bought the ticket had to see his concert; in other words, mom and dad couldn't buy their kids tickets, UNLESS they were going to the concert.......'he' claimed it was due to ticket scalping.......I felt SO bad when some teenage gal ordered tickets, then said her grandma and grandpa were getting them for her...I dreaded asking......'are they going to the concert?"  yeah, right.

only 'defense' I had was that Prince was responsible for this nonsense......so that at least was something!!

on a positive note, Reba was the ONLY artist who paid TicketMaster whatever the service charge was for anyone wanting tickets to her concert..........HOLY COW what an idea!  so in other words, if you bought a ticket to her show, you just paid the ticket price.....period....and maybe tax, but sure a lot less that that and TM's 'service charge'.

so there are some decent entertainers out there............I think!!

:-D

:-D
      October 31, 2018 8:51 AM MDT