Active Now

Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » Did you totally get Einstein's nightmare?

Did you totally get Einstein's nightmare?

The paradox with Niels Bor.

Posted - June 26, 2016

Responses

I don't even totally get what the heck you are talking about?  I'd like to think I sort of understand E=Mc squared, but, I'm sure Enistein would wipe the floor with me.

The Bohr–Einstein debates were a series of public disputes about quantum mechanics between Albert Einstein and Niels Bohr. Their debates are remembered because of their importance to the philosophy of science. An account of the debates was written by Bohr in an article titled "Discussions with Einstein on Epistemological Problems in Atomic Physics".[1] Despite their differences of opinion regarding quantum mechanics, Bohr and Einstein had a mutual admiration that was to last the rest of their lives.[2]

The debates represent one of the highest points of scientific research in the first half of the twentieth century because it called attention to an element of quantum theory, quantum non-locality, which is absolutely central to our modern understanding of the physical world. The consensus view of professional physicists has been that Bohr proved victorious in his defense of quantum theory, and definitively established the fundamental probabilistic character of quantum measurement.

June 26, 2016 11:24 AM MDT

You had ME at "wipe the floor with me".

:]
      June 26, 2016 11:43 AM MDT

• Is that the one where he's doing differential calculus in only his underwear? 

June 26, 2016 11:46 AM MDT

@Sharonna, if I tell you what you don't get, I will be giving you the answer. Yes, it was a debate, in fact, it was a paradox. Bohr did not solve it. It was Bell.
      June 26, 2016 1:31 PM MDT

Bell's Theorum?

June 26, 2016 3:00 PM MDT