Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » What is the most stunning piece of information you ever came across

What is the most stunning piece of information you ever came across

that completely turned on its head something significant you had erroneously believed for years.

Posted - February 2, 2018

Responses

I have happily and proudly sung many a song at the top of my lungs believing I knew the words to each and every one.....only to find out years later they were not the words at all and I had sung them wrong. 
    The list is so long, it would take years to formulate for you. Sad but true.   
      February 2, 2018 2:58 PM MST

Inline image 1
    Rattbagge, I wanted to make sure I got the words right!!  Big Giggles :D!  Thank you :) :) This post was edited by Merlin at February 3, 2018 12:44 PM MST
      February 3, 2018 12:40 PM MST

It's really mundane I am afraid.. i only very recently learned that there's practically NO way people can catch up on A'levels if they miss or drop out of college... I don't know why I didn't realise this before... You can go back and learn some things as an adult but A'levels are almost impossible to do as an adult..  Having said that a friend told me today she thinks you can do them online... maybe, or maybe not but taking the exams would be difficult as very few centres take external candidates

February 2, 2018 3:16 PM MST

The fact that in 12 years of public school black people's contributions to the very existence of America, its revolution resolution, and its war with the British were not taught in American History classes in any significant way for my generation.  I now have four books to read so that my perception of our history will be more accurate. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at June 28, 2018 12:15 PM MDT
      February 3, 2018 6:42 AM MST

To the existence of everybody even, seeing as the earliest strains of Homo Sapiens are believed to have been dark skinned. Don't forget the other non-white contributors though - the Chinese who built the railways. Without the transcontinental railway the U.S.A. would not have prospered and grown as it did. The building of that railway was truly a wonderful feat. True, those Chinese were not black, but since you are thinking in terms of skin color, they were not white either were they?      This post was edited by rattbagge at February 3, 2018 12:27 PM MST
      February 3, 2018 9:35 AM MST

My comment is about the American Revolution, not the contributions of subsequent immigrants.  
      February 4, 2018 7:21 AM MST

Notably large numbers of black people fought in the war of independence? Really, I never heard that. I do know blacks in some numbers escaped over the border to the safety of British North America when America revolted, as did large numbers of white settlers to evade intolerance and to remain loyal to the crown. Black escapees were crossing the border later too, weren't they, as America continued its policy of slavery under harsh conditions and the only safe option for a black, free or slave, was to live under British rule (after the passing of the Abolition of the Slave Trade Act of 1807, then practice of slavery became illegal throughout the whole British Empire in 1833) - if you could make it out safely without recapture and severe retribution from the cruel Americans and the subsequent return to slavery. I do know the act abolishing slavery in America did not come into effect until the American Civil War was all over.        
      June 28, 2018 11:01 AM MDT

not sure, cant remember
      February 3, 2018 3:59 PM MST