Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » Before reading a a book written originally in a foreign language, do you go about researching which is the "best" translation available?

Before reading a a book written originally in a foreign language, do you go about researching which is the "best" translation available?

Would it really matter to you if one translator translated a word as "terrible" and another as "ghastly"?

Posted - February 3, 2018

Responses

The last book... Please allow me to start again
     Le dernier livre que j'ai lu à l'origine écrit dans une langue étrangère était "Le Petit Prince".

I have a copy both in French and English. I took French in school but this was not an assignment.  I read it for pleasure.  I loved it and still do.
    To answer your question, no.  I just bought both copies.  I don't think I would have understood the meaning as well had I only had the French version. 
      February 4, 2018 3:50 AM MST

I've only done that for the Holy Bible.

But then, I don't know how many books I've read that started out in another language.  I'm sure some of old ones did.
      February 4, 2018 7:42 AM MST

• Not usually.
    Have done with Sufi works.
    Mostly rely on the reputation of the publisher.
      February 4, 2018 2:45 PM MST

Only The Bible where I have several translations as well as books telling me how to interpret the original languages.  But then don't often read books in languages other than English. Mostly only when certain gentlemen want to discuss them with me.  Some translations of philosophy books I tried to read were for pretty impossible for me and I did not understand at all so gave up. 
      February 4, 2018 2:55 PM MST

no, i just dont read it if i dont know the language
      February 4, 2018 3:44 PM MST

OMG yes......I go almost NUTS trying to get 'the best' translations...........I did this with "Madame Bovary' and "In Search of Lost Time"......took me forever to research this;
    I figured if it's worth reading, it's worth trying to find the best translation........

BUT there are new translations of many of the foreign classics, it seems, on a regular basis, so you have to keep up with it, so to speak.

I asked on another forum what the best Proust translation was, and got an interesting reply from a Lit professor in San Diego..he said 
    "don't worry about the 'best' translation; just read it................." he said he rereads it every 2 years........and that it's 'good for the soul'.......WOW much as I loved "In Search of Lost Time' don't think I could reread it that often!!!

but the 'best' translation? try to find it, for sure.

as for the bible, I have the interlinear bible; it has the original language below the literal translation of each line.......of course it doesn't 'flow' but I find it more interesting that some translator's 'version'..right?

and besides, if it's the word of God, which I feel for the most part it is, then why not read it this way? so it's a little 'clunky' still better than all those 'thee's and 'thous' which were never part of the original language anyway!!!!!!!!

am I right?  HUH?  ya bet I am...

LOL

:-D

October 30, 2019 8:34 AM MDT