Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Think the donjohn prez has the CHUTZPAH to bring up mental health vis a vis the Florida massacre? DOES HE DARE?

Think the donjohn prez has the CHUTZPAH to bring up mental health vis a vis the Florida massacre? DOES HE DARE?

Doofun don is the very same DUMB one who RESCINDED the Obama-era law making it tougher for the mentally ill to get guns. So if the Florida shooter was mentally it's all on doofus don. Let's see how big and fat of a hypocrite he really is and how BIGLY hypocritical his supporters are if they see no problem with it. Wanna bet?

Posted - February 16, 2018

Responses

The law would have no impact on the FL school shooter...he was not on Social Security. 

No background checks were blocked. Anyone buying a firearm  commercially is subject to the NCIC background check. 

The law that was repealed arbitrarily took the rights of people on SS with a designated payee by claiming they were "mentally defective" With no review, and without the gov proving that the person should loose their rights. Without proving that the person is a danger or a history of being a danger to themselves or others. 
    This repeal was supported by:

Letter of Support from ADAPT

Letter of Support from the American Association of People with Disabilities

Letter of Support from the American Civil Liberties Union

Letter of Support from The Arc of the United States

Letter of Support from the Association of Mature American Citizens

Letter of Support from the Autistic Self Advocacy Network

Letter of Support from the Bazelon Center for Mental Health Law

Letter of Support from the Consortium for Citizens with Disabilities Rights Task Force

Letter of Support from the Council for Citizens Against Government Waste

Letter of Support from the Disability Law Center of Alaska

Letter of Support from the National Alliance on Mental Illness

Letter of Support from the National Association of County Behavioral Health and Developmental Disability Directors

Letter of Support from the National Association for Rights Protection and Advocacy

Letter of Support from the National Association for Rural Mental Health

Letter of Support from the National Council on Disability

Letter of Support from the National Council of Independent Living

Letter of Support from the National Coalition of Mental Health Recovery

Letter of Support from the National Disability Leadership Alliance

Letter of Support from the National Disability Rights Network

Letter of Support from the National Rifle Association

Letter of Support from the New York Association of Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services

Letter of Support from Safari Club International

February 16, 2018 8:14 AM MST

Both the House and Senate passed H.J. Res 40, revoking the Obama-era regulation.

Trump signed the bill into law without a photo op or fanfare. The president welcomed cameras into the oval office Tuesday for the signing of other executive orders and bills. News that the president signed the bill was tucked at the bottom of a White House email alerting press to other legislation signed by the president.

Protecting public safety and protecting the rights of individuals is always a balancing act.  Frequently, whoever blows the most air toward once side of the balance scale carries the day.

Why expect any leadership from the Trump administration on the issue of arming the mentally ill?---there's no money advantage in it for him. This post was edited by tom jackson at February 17, 2018 1:55 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 9:05 AM MST

Thank you for providing the blow-by-blow  description to flesh out my question tom. SIGH. The big orange-haired guy dropped by  in Parkland yesterday to "comfort" people. He was on his way to Mar a Lago anyway for some much needed rest and relaxation...only 40 miles away and how could he possibly miss such a photo op as that? Interestingly enough the coward didn't talk to even one of the teenagers. Not one. According to reports I read. I saw clips of some of the kids who saw their friends get murdered SCREAMING AT HIM via the camera to DO SOMETHING! I don't know if you happened to see such clips but  it was and is heart-wrenching! And on to the next gun-based slaughter/massacre. Or is it a massacre/slaughter? Who cares which comes first? Dead is the result. SIGH! :(
      February 17, 2018 2:00 AM MST

It's irrelevant. Anyone who wants to get a gun can do so illegally anyway, so you have no argument.

A very large proportion of Americans have had some mental health issues. It's not possible to distinguish between those who really are a danger to others and those who just have a few personal issues. It is unacceptable that ordinary people lose their rights, especially when it wouldn't do any good anyway.

As always, the left thinks in a shallow manner and is unable to see the root cause of problems.

The establishment is trying to use this tragedy as a pretext to push their agenda. They want the state to have a monopoly of force. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 17, 2018 12:43 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 11:05 AM MST

Your contribution to this discussion has been duly recorded.  

But I did have to format my excel spreadsheet to register six digits to the right of the decimal point.
      February 16, 2018 11:32 AM MST

Typical empty response. If you had a counter argument, you would make it.
      February 16, 2018 11:59 AM MST

Oh, such a blistering retort.

If my response was empty, I was simply being inspired by your answer.
      February 16, 2018 12:03 PM MST

No, you said nothing. I actually argued something. I argued that crazy people can get guns anyway whatever the law. Are you denying that? If so perhaps you'd like to explain how someone who has contempt for the laws against murder can somehow be made to respect laws that prohibit them acquiring weapons?

I claimed that there is no effective way of separating nutcases from people with minor mental health issues. Are you denying that? If so would you like to explain how? If you're acknowledging there is no effective way, perhaps you'd like to explain what gives you the right to strip people of their rights who haven't done anything?

If you don't believe in the right to bear arms, could you just say so? At least that would be honestly declaring your agenda. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at February 17, 2018 12:47 AM MST
      February 16, 2018 4:36 PM MST

Let's see....

Well, I really can't figure out what it is that you argued---so I'm not sure how to respond to your last comment.  But I will copy the link to this question and look at it tomorrow.  I certainly can respond some of the things you said.

Beyond that, I expect to be able to walk into a gun store tomorrow and buy anything I want, and I would be extremely upset if I were unable to complete my intended purpose..

And just to be prepared, I just checked the maximum numbers to the right of the decimal place my Excel spreadsheet will allow. (It's 30)
      February 16, 2018 7:18 PM MST

I have no clue to what you allude tom but it doesn't matter. Reading what you wrote makes me feel REAL good! I know! Go figger!  :)
      February 17, 2018 2:02 AM MST

This might be partially why---

What he says seems to make sense, Rosie, because he makes statement and presents them as facts rather than judgments; and then on the face of it, they seem quite reasonable, but are based on other statements that have no greater basis in fact than the judgments themselves.

You sense that what I respond to is not logical, but why is not obvious.  What I say essentially confirms that feeling in you and at the same time tends to alleviate the irritation his answers frequently provide because I frequently reject his answers.

I find that while they appear to be simple and cogent, they seem to be more accurately characterized as simplistic---which is OK I suppose for entry level comments, but not particularly helpful for finding solutions to the real problem.
      February 17, 2018 2:17 PM MST

When you refer to "he" it would be doofus don? OK. What he says makes no sense to me at all. EVER! His words come across as lies BECAUSE THEY ARE and vapid and idiotic and quite stupidly arrogant and yet his adoring sycophants lap up every word and lick their tongues as if it is ambrosia. He uses hyperbole constantly. He says "everyone says" or "most people think that" or "lots of people agree". Bullsh**. He says he will do things he never does. He reverses himself all the time and his worshippers either are so entranced with him they don't notice or they don't care. I have never witnessed a "hero worship" or fanatic fan base that has so little to shout about but shout they do. There is nothing there of substance tom. On a Tuesday he agrees to a bipartisan something and on a Thursday he shoots it down. What changed? Who got his ear last? He is a reactor not an actor. He does NOT invent/create/imagine better ways to do things. He is simply an empty vessel that gets filled up with whatever the last person poured into him. What has he said that you think makes sense on the surface?. He talks in gradeschool terms and I am disrespecting the brighter kids of 8 years old or 10 whose vocabularies are already far more extensive and articulate than his. He doesn't read. He doesn't listen. He is incurious. He doesn't exercise. He just makes empty pronouncements..he talks in sloganeese. He fears Putin who must have pictures of doofus naked cavorting with men or multiple women and that's why he has sold out his country to a hostile foreign enemy.  He REFUSES to implement sanctions already passed by Congress. He REFUSES to direct our Intelligence Agencies to work actively to STOP Russian meddling futurely. He refuses to admit error, to apologize, to put his country and the peoples' needs ahead of his own. He is greedy and selfish and arrogant and frightened and inarticulate and incurious and glib. That does not even a mediocre president make let alone one who is good or great. We are stuck with this bumbling mass of protoplasm. He reminds me of Jabba the Hut in Star Wars. I find no redeeming value in him. I have given up trying to understand those who worship him. I figure birds of a feather flock together and what he is suits them because they can relate to him. They ARE him. SIGH. Sorry for the rant. Anyway you know you're smarter than I am. So that means you undoubtedly see a nuance here or there that escapes me altogether!  Thank you for your thoughtful reply and Happy Sunday! :). I am always open to discussing things with you tom even when I don't always understand everything you say. You are a very patient person and I appreciate that. SIGH. I wonder what today will bring doofus don-wise?  :(
      February 18, 2018 3:31 AM MST

:):):)
      February 17, 2018 2:03 AM MST

:):):)
      February 17, 2018 2:04 AM MST