Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Does Pro Namel toothpaste really work to demineralize acid softened enamel?

Does Pro Namel toothpaste really work to demineralize acid softened enamel?

Posted - February 21, 2018

Responses

If that means as it says at face value, it would help the acid to rot your teeth!
      February 21, 2018 3:51 PM MST

I think it's supposed to demineralize. My mistake, sorry.
    F__k sakes!!
    Every time that I type remineralize autocorrect changes it to demineralize.
    So I mean demineralize..REMINERALIZE!!
    Thank you for your response. : ) This post was edited by Summer at February 21, 2018 4:00 PM MST
      February 21, 2018 3:58 PM MST

Thank you - no need to apologise!

I realise you've quoted the blurb on the packet or in the advertising, but to "demineralise" a material means removing certain chemical compounds - the minerals - from it. I would think tooth enamel a metallic mineral as it is calcium phosphate.

So if the paste demineralises, i.e. breaks down, the acid it may do good; but if it does that to tooth enamel already partly corroded by the acid, it will further the damage to the teeth.
      February 21, 2018 4:06 PM MST

REmineralize. 

And... meh. 

Acid and crap on your teeth pulls the minerals out of them. That's normal. Your saliva, provided you eat a healthy diet, contains minerals, and will naturally remineralize your teeth. When you have significant mineral loss, you wind up with "soft" spots that are vulnerable to decay. Fluoride can help your teeth remineralize better. That's how it protects your from decay.

So, how does Pronamel "work?" By being less abrasive than a normal toothpaste and by including fluoride. 

Most toothpaste has .2% to .3% fluoride, and Pronamel sits on the higher end. 

Does it help you remineralize? Sure. If you're really worried about cavity prevention or fit into a high-risk category (drink a lot of acidic beverages, don't produce enough saliva, etc.) then you'll probably do better with a separate fluoride treatment. I know here, Colgate makes something called Gel-Kam, which pharmacists keep behind the counter but it is not by prescription. It's 0.4% fluoride. You put the gel on after you've brushed your teeth and let it stay on. You could also combine a fluoride rinse in with your brushing routine. ACT has one, but it's on par with the amount included in most toothpastes. The benefit is that it's liquid and may get between your teeth better.

Most toothpastes aren't "abrasive" to begin with, but the ones designed to "whiten" or "remove stains" are. Sensitive toothpastes like this set themselves apart by being even less abrasive and including something in them that soothes the nerves, so they aren't so reactive. 

Pronamel (and all other rebuilding ones) are a little on the gimmicky side, but there's no harm in using them. If your concerns are average and you don't fit into any special risk groups and don't have sensitivity, any fluoridated toothpaste is ok. If you feel better using it, you may see some benefit from it, but it is really rather meh. The concept behind them is solid, but whether or not they really perform better than other options remains to be seen. 

If you're having a specific problem, let me know and I can elaborate on what to look for in a toothpaste, but most people are just fine so long as they go with something that has fluoride in it. 
      February 21, 2018 4:33 PM MST

Thank you.
    I think I was eating too much fruit in the morning after brushing or two times I ran out of bottled water that I use to rinse with and I just rinsed my mouth with mouthwash while toothpaste was still in there and it's like a bomb went off in my mouth. Might as well rinse with bleach. LoL!
    Anyway, I noticed my enamel was getting thin on a few of my front teeth after all that. I bought some pronamel and used it for a while and it didn't seem to do much. I just switched back to crest and stopped eating fruit in the morning and made sure I have lots of bottled water to rinse with.
    I'm hoping that my enamel remineralizes by itself. Do YOU think it will? I've got plans for these teeth. I want them all to be beautiful.
    Thank you. This post was edited by Summer at February 22, 2018 10:42 AM MST
      February 21, 2018 6:22 PM MST

Hmm... I'm curious to know what you mean by "getting thin." Demineralization is not the same thing as thinning or erosion. When your enamel is gone, it is gone. There is no getting it back. Although enamel is a super hard substance, you can lose it by brushing too hard, grinding your teeth, giving your teeth an acid bath (common in people with acid reflux or bulimia), and similar things. You would know the enamel is thinner because you'll typically see through to the yellower dentin underneath the enamel or the edges of your teeth might look translucent. Those kinds of issues have to be repaired by the dentist- usually through fillings, veneers, or crowns. They're at a higher risk for decay, tend to be more sensitive, and cannot be repaired by any measure you might take at home. 

If you're talking about visible white spots on your teeth, it's usually one of two things. Some people think they're seeing a white spot on the tooth, when they're really seeing calculus. Calculus aka tartar is a buildup of plaque- you get it when you don't go in for your regular cleanings. It's super hard and fixed to the tooth. If you're on a six-month schedule, you might still get little deposits, but if you go years, it'll basically crust over the tooth- particularly at the gumline. When people have a lot of this, they usually need a special kind of cleaning to remove it all and get the gums healthy again. A lot of patients walk away from that cleaning feeling like they're missing parts of their teeth because they all of a sudden have much "thinner" teeth and larger spaces between their teeth. 

The other thing people get are decalcification spots (severe demineraliztion). Many (arguably most) doctors believe that those spots are hopeless and will always turn into decay. They may call them pre-cavities or similar variants. They're usually repaired with with fillings. A super conservative dentist may try methods like abrading the tooth- essentially blasting it with pumice and or an acid/ pumice mix to try to get rid of the white spot. That doesn't always do it though. One of the dental assistants I worked with had a huge decalcified spot on one of her front teeth and we worked for an ultra-conservative dentist. He abraded the tooth and then used an internal bleaching process to even out the shade. To clarify, when I say "conservative" in this respect, he was a very holistic doctor. He really respected the tooth, the patient, and the long-term health consequences of any treatment, so he would never drill into a tooth that wasn't already decayed and he'd use the least-invasive treatment necessary at the time- not all dentists are that way. Most will see it as an unavoidable cavity and will treat it as such.

If you have decalcified spots, you probably aren't going to be able to fix them at home either. However, if you're really eager to try something at home, your best bet is probably Gel-Kam- the fluoride gel. You definitely want to protect those spots and make sure they don't get worse. There's a chance you could diminish the spots some, depending on the severity, but it would take a whole lot of diligence on your part with what you eat and using the fluoride. Truth be told, I've never seen it work. I've never once seen a patient eliminate a decalcified spot on their own, but there's some evidence to suggest it's theoretically possible. In my experience, the spots have always turned into decay later. Some people can hold it off for years, but it's usually just buying time. 
      February 22, 2018 11:22 AM MST

Thank you for the information.
    It's the first one. The edges of my front teeth are getting slightly translucent. I swear it happened after I rinsed the toothpaste out with mouthwash and they tasted horrible together. Or maybe I'm brushing too hard.
    Anyway it sounds like another expensive repair.
    Just put it on my tab at this point.
    Someday if I work hard enough I can be a totally broke person with really beautiful teeth.
    That's my goal and once I have that million dollar smile then all the other doors in life will just open automatically for me. LoL!

Thank you. : )

February 22, 2018 12:08 PM MST

Toothpaste and mouthwash together wouldn't do that. 

You're probably the only one who can see the spots, so I wouldn't sweat it for cosmetic reasons. You'd want a diagnosis from a doctor, but if it is that, you can let it be- just watch it carefully for signs of decay. Fluoride will be your friend in this one because it can stop or slow problems. When it comes to fixing them, I think most dentists will likely push you toward porcelain veneers, but you could do composite resin (filling material)on just those spots or have it layered on like veneers- they call it chairside veneers. It's not as durable as porcelain, but it can look just as nice if a talented dentist does them. Once you start messing with teeth like that though, you're signing up for a lifetime of it. You will need cosmetic work redone several times over the course of your life- composites more often than porcelain- longevity depends on the quality of work, materials, and how gentle you are with them. I've seen some work last 20+ years, but most falls in the 7-15-year range. So, if you aren't up for that, just baby them and watch them for signs of trouble. It's really really doubtful anyone but you notices it.
      February 22, 2018 12:49 PM MST

Thank you, I will baby them.
    I don't know about veneers, don't they look kind of unnatural? I'm not sure.
    Like you put them on top of the teeth right? Then it makes some people's teeth stick out too far or look too big and it just looks off.
    I think it's noticeable kind of like when people get their teeth whitened and they look almost too white. Like unnaturally white.
    Anyway, I appreciate you giving me free dental advice.
    You seem to remember a lot of information from your days as a dental assistant.
    Maybe if I could make the tools, we could get some discount dental materials from the black market and I could hire you to do my dental work for much cheaper than going to the dentist. Like I could cut your grass or something?
    Just think about it ok?
    Thank you. : )
      February 22, 2018 2:45 PM MST

LMAO I remember watching a TV show where someone was performing plastic surgery on people for cheap, but they used carpet padding in place of silicone for breast implants, and all the patients started dying. I don't remember if it was real or not, but that's about what I'd be doing if I touched your teeth. lol 

Will you still cut my grass? Full disclosure: that also entails fixing my sprinklers so grass will grow. They have been broken since I was married and I only have dirt.

I still write for the dental industry- I'm not removed from it. I don't want to say anything that would identify my clients or me, but they're some pretty big names in cosmetic dentistry- especially veneers. There's a HUGE difference between veneers and veneers done by a dentist who knows what the heck they're doing. If you ever go that route, look at before and after photos of the doctor's own patients. If the teeth look fake, run for the hills. The can, and should, look natural. If you have genuine curiosity on the projects I do, lemme know and I'll email you some links. I'm betting I've actually used some of your questions in my writing. ^_^

Veneers are just a surface covering. They go over the front and kind of wrap around the sides a little. They can go on any tooth, but they're usually done on the front 6-8 teeth, depending on what shows when you smile. They can be done on the upper or lower. You really have to find someone who has had additional cosmetic training and who does it every day. General dentists don't usually have that, but they may. Someone without the extra training or who does it infrequently won't have the same finesse. It's like asking a house painter to paint a mural. That's where you get crappy, unnatural results. Any cosmetic dentist who is worthwhile will talk to you at length ahead of time to identify the shape, shade, and look you want, and will not be happy unless you are.
      February 22, 2018 7:53 PM MST

Thank you very much for all this information. I'm sure that I will probably have more questions as I actually begin procedures to correct my dental issues.
    I appreciate you taking the time to inform me, it's very valuable to know someone with your experience in dentistry.
    Thank you very much for your response. : )

February 22, 2018 10:23 PM MST

I don't know.  I only know about Donald.
      February 22, 2018 8:01 PM MST