Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Finance » If you're getting a discount, should the tip be based off the sale price or the regular price?

If you're getting a discount, should the tip be based off the sale price or the regular price?

I was always told the tip should be based off the standard pre-tax price of something- 15% for ok service, 20% for outstanding. If the item is on sale, you still shouldn't reduce the tip to correspond with the sale price. Is that correct? How do you calculate your tips?

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

It should be based upon the service.

February 24, 2018 3:37 PM MST

I don't follow your answer. Maybe I didn't explain well.

Let's say a nail place normally charges $30 for a pedi, but they're running a sale that prices it at $20 instead. If you normally tip 20% for great service, your nail tech would usually get a $6 tip for the pedi, but if there's a sale, and you use that rate to determine the tip amount, the person would only get a $4 tip. The service is the same- only the price for it has been reduced temporarily. Do you tip your nail tech less because there's a sale?

The same thing could be applied to any service. 
      February 24, 2018 4:47 PM MST

I usually use the total due. Figure 15% and round up to the nearest $5. 
    For table service I do have a minimum of $2 per person.
    The restaurant we normally go to costs us about $85 total bill. (Without tax would be $77) We normally have 8 people. And leave a $20 for a tip.  This post was edited by my2cents at February 24, 2018 5:08 PM MST
      February 24, 2018 4:13 PM MST

I go with the regular price, and I frequently add a portion of the discount itself onto the tip amount.

It's a small gesture that frequently goes a long way with those in the service industry.
      February 24, 2018 5:02 PM MST

The sale price. Whatever total shows on the receipt is what should be used for calculating the tip. 
    ~
      February 24, 2018 6:19 PM MST