Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Are extra buttons stitched to the back of buttons a mark of quality or madness?

Are extra buttons stitched to the back of buttons a mark of quality or madness?

I recently made some alterations to a friend's coat and realized that there was a small button affixed on the underside of the fabric, so the jacket kind of had a button sandwich going on. There was also kind of a rubber gasket thing that the thread ran through between the visible button and the jacket fabric. Does either thing serve some kind of benefit? i.e. From the outside in: main button --> gasket thingy --> jacket fabric --> small button (all affixed with the same stitches). 

Posted - February 24, 2018

Responses

This is an effort to keep the button from being lost leaving a hole in the coat.  If you sew, you know that many coats have buttons that are attached with a ball of thread at the garment, then a cord or multiple strings of thread attached at the button.  This allows for the thickness of the garment, which if a thick wood coat might be 3/8" to 1/2".  Having an underside button is a very good way to protect the fabric from having the thread ball pulled through it.  

February 24, 2018 3:09 PM MST

Ah. That makes sense. I actually don't sew often and I really don't own coats. There's minimal need for them here, even in the winter. Thanks!
      February 24, 2018 4:36 PM MST

I THINK (not sure) the extra button is there in case you lose the original button. I heard that, but not sure from who. 
      February 24, 2018 3:10 PM MST

Extra buttons are usually sewn on the inside of the front opening near the bottom. 
      February 24, 2018 3:13 PM MST

Yes, that's correct as well, but the placement is different. I wish I would have grabbed a photo to show you guys instead of trying to rely on words alone to describe what I was looking at. I think TM nailed it. 

This particular coat did have backup buttons as well- stitched to the inside near the bottom of the coat.
      February 24, 2018 4:38 PM MST

Thriftymaid nailed it. The gasket holds the button up to make space for the fabric, and the inside button spreads the force over some area, greater than the small space where the thread actually goes through.
      February 24, 2018 3:26 PM MST

That makes sense. When I initially posted this, I couldn't figure out why that would be necessary- to have the extra space, but then I learned the coat had a lining that had been removed prior to me looking at it.
      February 24, 2018 4:40 PM MST

It makes it secure.  The button stays put with this extra foundation.

February 24, 2018 3:27 PM MST

Wait, someone said "sandwich"!

~
      February 24, 2018 5:43 PM MST

I was always told that that was the sign of a 'quality' garment; you lose a button, you now have a spare!  but the other explanations are very informative........in other words, on low-priced garments, no extra button!!

see? ya learn a lot here!!!!!!!!!!

:-D
      March 5, 2018 8:13 AM MST