Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » Language » Is this proper English: "'Cause I've got memories and travel like gypsies in the night?"

Is this proper English: "'Cause I've got memories and travel like gypsies in the night?"

Every time I hear the song, it's like nails on a chalkboard to me... a person could travel like a gypsy, but not like gypsies, right? My grammar checker sees nothing wrong with the phrase, though. :/ 

Posted - March 2, 2018

Responses

No...It sucks.
    "Because I have memories...
      March 2, 2018 2:01 PM MST

I would object to that sentence. and I am sire Randy will too, and for more reasons that I have found ;) 'cquse' is not a word, mixed singular/plural.

Also the title of the piece 'no roots' seems to be the opposite of what the text is trying to convey. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at April 8, 2018 1:23 AM MDT
      March 2, 2018 2:03 PM MST

Proper for the song
    love it
    she got no roots...haha
         She's acknowledging that she
    travels  like a band of Gypsies who are
    moving through the night huh? This post was edited by Baba at March 2, 2018 2:13 PM MST
      March 2, 2018 2:03 PM MST

There are several arguments against the correctness of calling that group of words a sentence.
      March 2, 2018 3:12 PM MST

• Yeah, because if it was Cuz there would be a comma following. DUH! :P
      March 2, 2018 6:48 PM MST

'Cause.  Not Cause.  Cause is not a word.   You have to have the ' sign.

All other verbiage is correct.

March 2, 2018 10:28 PM MST

Corrections, my dear: the word cause does exist, as in the cause for the rise in prices, or cause and effect. Also, she did include the apostrophe to differentiate between cause and because; just look closely. 
    ~
      April 8, 2018 2:42 AM MDT

(Sigh.)

Poetic license supposedly gives leeway for all kinds of transgressions in the arts (I need only to point to "I Can't Get No Satisfaction"), so even from the first word of your example being 'cause instead of because, I don't know how the ruling on this stands. Grammatically correct? Definitely not. Allowable? Meh.

:(
      April 8, 2018 2:39 AM MDT