Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » When someone tries to shame you with where you are from is it so wrong to strike fear in them with where they are going?

When someone tries to shame you with where you are from is it so wrong to strike fear in them with where they are going?

Posted - March 3, 2018

Responses

That sounds to me like some kind of philosophical proto-proverb in the making.

March 3, 2018 10:24 AM MST

Since I am from Cleveland I am already ashamed.
      March 3, 2018 10:53 AM MST

Didnt you hear; Cleveland rocks
      March 3, 2018 11:51 AM MST

• At least you don't have to live with being stereotyped as a steer or queer. :P
      March 3, 2018 3:23 PM MST

Both are equally witless exercises. We aren’t accountable for where we come from, nor do we have any real power to predict another’s fate.

Why then, give the negativity any more fuel? 

This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 3, 2018 3:52 PM MST
      March 3, 2018 1:18 PM MST

• There is a huge difference between discernment and judgment. 
      March 3, 2018 1:43 PM MST

Q "When someone tries to shame you with where you are from is it so wrong to strike fear in them with where they are going?"

If "where you are from" is something you cannot do anything about then this "shaming" is senseless, even unkind. It's not something you can benefit from, so it's best ignored.

If "where you are from" is to do with attitudes, thinking, ideas or something you can change then you could turn the "shaming" to your advantage. Use it as a prompt to review the attitudes, thinking, ideas or whatever is the target of the "shaming" You could thus better yourself and/or explain yourself.

If you strike fear in them with where they are going then you're doing them a favour by warning them. If they are wise they will take heed and take stock of where they are headed.
      March 4, 2018 11:57 AM MST