Discussion » Questions » Finance » Waitresses and waiters (both current and former), do you prefer your tips in cash, or is it okay if they're included on the credit card

Waitresses and waiters (both current and former), do you prefer your tips in cash, or is it okay if they're included on the credit card

along with the check?

~

Posted - March 6, 2018

Responses

My daughter has been one for a long time and she will tell you that cash is so appreciated!  She told me that when the tips go on the card, she may not see a dime of it.  She is completely at the mercy of an honest manager or owner to give her that tip.  By all means, put the meal on a card, but leave a cash tip.  

March 6, 2018 7:59 PM MST

Thanks, that's good information!
    :)
      March 6, 2018 8:03 PM MST

It's a great question since a lot of people don't know this actually happens.  A good server works real hard for the buck, so it's nice to see them get what they deserve.
      March 6, 2018 8:06 PM MST

I'm not in a restaurant (I was way- back- when...) but I am in the tip business.   I get tips for my work besides the regular fee. 

I do not care which way the money comes.  It is fun to have cash, but it spends faster.  I think the best way is to have it by credit card because it then appears on my paycheck.

They handle it differently in each restaurant.  Some give you cash from the cards and pay you your tips that way.  Same with Spas that offer massage.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 6, 2018 9:26 PM MST
      March 6, 2018 8:38 PM MST

I am not a server, but my niece is. She told me always to tip in cash, but I forgot the reason.  This post was edited by Jane S at March 7, 2018 9:07 PM MST
      March 7, 2018 7:22 AM MST